Knife Help, Please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rickety-root

Tenderfoot
Dec 25, 2006
leicester
Apologies, since I'm guessing this is a question that has been asked at least a million times before, but I'm new to the forum so I'm going to ask it again anyway.

I'm wishing to make my first knife and would like some recommendations for blades / suppliers. I only want to pay around £10 - £20 pounds, as there's a good chance I'll mare my first attempt. I've looked on Attleborough and some of the other sites that suply blanks but there's too much to choose from and I know very little about knives.

Could someone please recommend a full tange and a Puukko type that they have had experience of and found to be satisfactory?

Thanks

Richard

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Full tang - Any of the Frost lapplander range - i like the "90" myself : http://www.thegoodstuffshop.dk/product.asp?product=12314&sub=940&page=1

Made one of the 90's up for my brother last year with this blade. I was most impressed with it..heres a picture of my one finished:
268021454_89b21fe190.jpg

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
rickety-root said:
Apologies, since I'm guessing this is a question that has been asked at least a million times before, but I'm new to the forum so I'm going to ask it again anyway.

I'm wishing to make my first knife and would like some recommendations for blades / suppliers. I only want to pay around £10 - £20 pounds, as there's a good chance I'll mare my first attempt. I've looked on Attleborough and some of the other sites that suply blanks but there's too much to choose from and I know very little about knives.

Could someone please recommend a full tange and a Puukko type that they have had experience of and found to be satisfactory?

Thanks

Richard

I like the frosts lapplander blades from Attlebouough. They're not cheap - at the top end of your price range. My son and I have a matching pair of 115's in wooden sheaths. We can tell them apart because mine has the notch in the blade - I was 'recycling' some beech from some furniture and it had a pin in it that I tried to baton through :(

I'm ordering one of the smaller ones to start a knife for my grandson. He's only 2 but the rate I work he'll be at secondary school by the time I finish... :eek:

leon-1

Hi, for the scandi / puukko type blade go for a Lauri PT or PTX. I think the Lauri blades are still available from attleborough, but if not try brisa although if you are buying from there make sure you have a reasonable order to make the shipping worth while. They are cheap, but a lot of people on here have tried them and I haven't heard much in the way of whinges.

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
To bring this up again as i need some advice and there is no point starting another thread :lmao: .

Basically i was thinking about getting the saami knife kit from brisa and just wondered what tools i would need to make it.

Cheers
Jay

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
You will need a thin saw of some descript for sawing the antler for the sheath in half, you will need files and rasps, sand paper in various grits, a ball pein hammer, and some Araldite epoxy. oh an a vice.

And anything else that i have forgot which other people metion, if you already have a belt sander that will help too! oh and you will need a drill and drill bits and some mini files.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE