Knife handles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

extremeds

Aug 8, 2010
essex
After reading the latest Bushcraft and SS mag i fancied having a go at the Mora Knife mod, anyone else had ago? replacing the handle with a custom wooden handle. I was thinking perhaps a mix of hornbeam and hawthorn. my idea was to use the hornbeam as a fake full tang, utilising its pale colour and strength to look like the tang of a standard knife. then clamp this between the hawthorn as normal minus the bolts of a standard blade perhaps replacing them with a wedged dowl to complete the look.

anyone used hornbeam before or what people think of the idea? im no carpenter! so im not sure on the compatability of different woods stuck together!

ps for those who dont get the mag, the mora only has a partial tang which is why i had the idea of the fake hornbeam full tang with the mora blade fixed into position with some epoxy

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
You mean in THIS style?

I would recomend a new blank blade myself but heres a look at a 780 blade without a handle my scouts broke I rehandled it though shorter and narrower

Mora 780 blade by alf.branch, on Flickr

Heres the knife done nothing special the scouts enjoy using it.

Broken Mora handle sheath 4 by alf.branch, on Flickr

THESE kits are a good start point IMO.

Last edited:

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Brancho, even that looks a lot better! wish I could make one like that, should have seen my first effort at a handle, it was terrible! atleast the knife now has a reduced risk of fingers sliding off the handle and onto the blade because of the handle, good job

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE