Knife handle wood?

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
Apologies if this has been asked before,
Does anyone have a link to a reasonably cheap place to buy wood for making knife handles please,

I have two knife blades on the way and would like to make my own handles, one has a tang the other will need scales,

looking to make my own blades soon so may need some more advice if possible.

Thanks in advance,
Dave.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
If you want to buy I think www.brisa.fi is a good place to have a look. I usually like source bits of dried hard wood locally. Old furniture that people throw out is a good source, or any dried hard wood that might have ended up as firewood somewhere. Of course you`re not going to end up with curly birch or something fancy from these places, but a lot of normal woods are very pretty to look at once polished as well.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Try English Handmade Knives (you'll have to google for the web address) really nice chap to deal with.

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
If you want to buy I think www.brisa.fi is a good place to have a look. I usually like source bits of dried hard wood locally. Old furniture that people throw out is a good source, or any dried hard wood that might have ended up as firewood somewhere. Of course you`re not going to end up with curly birch or something fancy from these places, but a lot of normal woods are very pretty to look at once polished as well.

Thanks Two socks, great idea about old furniture, didn't think of that, thanks also for the website.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Don't forget to get out in the woods and get some good old home-grown stuff - just quarter it and it seasons very quickly in small pieces like those required for scales............

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
Don't forget to get out in the woods and get some good old home-grown stuff - just quarter it and it seasons very quickly in small pieces like those required for scales............

Thanks Macaroon, that's a great idea, will take my tree id book and pop to the woods at the weekend.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE