Knife handle question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
I hope this is the right place to ask a possibly silly question, if not Mods, please feel free to move it.

I'm in the process of shaping my very first knife handle. I will be epoxying the liners to the blade handle shortly and I was presuming that I don't need to then epoxy the scales to the liners, assuming that the corby bolts will hold them tightly enough in place. However I have seen in some youtube videos where scales and liners seem to be pre-attached and then expoxied to the knife handle as a unit.

I couldn't find anything showing this point specifically and thought I would ask for a little help :) Comments appreciated.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If using liners I epoxy them to the scales, then epoxy the scales and liners to the tang then rivet/pin/bolt the scales to the tang as well.
The epoxy stops any water penetration as well as holding the scales to the liners to the tang. The rivets/bolts/pins stop lateral movement that could shear the epoxy joint.

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Thanks for the very quick replies, chaps, much appreciated. I will follow your advice,all greatfully received, thanks again. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE