Knife handle material

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tonyge

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2012
Leeds
Hi. I have no idea on woods. Can anyone introduce me the advantages and disadvantages of different woods or any suggestion? Many thanks

Zheng

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
Are you buying or making? There is an awful lot out there, especially if you add antler, bone, mirtica and other synthetic stuff in the mix.
For all intensive purposes anything will do the job, probably just go with what you like the look of.

Regards

Colin

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Hi. I have no idea on woods. Can anyone introduce me the advantages and disadvantages of different woods or any suggestion? Many thanks

Zheng

sorry for being so nosey but i noticed that your user name is tonyge, and you signed your post zheng. do you mind me asking what your actual name is? (please feel free to tell me to mind my own business, i won't be offended :) )

cheers

stuart

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
+ 1 to what totumpole said. Have a look on ebay for knife scales.

Are you buying or making? There is an awful lot out there, especially if you add antler, bone, mirtica and other synthetic stuff in the mix.
For all intensive purposes anything will do the job, probably just go with what you like the look of.

Regards

Colin

tonyge

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2012
Leeds
sorry for being so nosey but i noticed that your user name is tonyge, and you signed your post zheng. do you mind me asking what your actual name is? (please feel free to tell me to mind my own business, i won't be offended :) )

cheers

stuart
Hi Stuart, Tony is my English name. Zheng Hao Ge is my Chinese name . =)Nice to meet you here

tonyge

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2012
Leeds

Regards

Colin
Hi Colin. thank you . I may buy a knife when I have enough money. Just want to know more handle materials. =)

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
Hi Colin. thank you . I may buy a knife when I have enough money. Just want to know more handle materials. =)

Your welcome. Have a look on some knife makers pages - they will often have galleries of wood types with examples of them as handles. SOmething that looks good can look GREAT once its shaped, the countours of the handle bringing out subtle lines in the grain.
Have a look through the edged tool/makers market/classifieds for examples. You can always do a google image search for a specific wood type which will bring up lots of examples.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Hi Stuart, Tony is my English name. Zheng Hao Ge is my Chinese name . =)Nice to meet you here

nice to meet you here too tony :)

i'd kinda guessed that would be the case with your name, one of my best friends has the same name as you, although he spells it Zeng Ge, his english name is Jimmy Ge

cheers

stuart

K

Knifecraft

Mahogany, Oak and Burr Elm Lauri Fillet
7963681008_90f5ac9413.jpg
7963721342_7946622cd9.jpg
All these woods make a good handle and they are nice combined

Last edited by a moderator:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE