Knife handle advice acorn bolts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

max whitlock

Feb 28, 2010
Teesside
Hi guys - i'm in the process of fitting my first knife handle and i am unsure how to fit acorn bolts correctly.

I am not a DIY type but i'm trying to learn so apologies if this seems really obvious to others.

When drilling through the handle slabs in line with the holes in the knife tang do you need to also drill a wider (than the drill hole) but shallow recess about 1/2 way through the slab to allow the bolts to hold the slabs. If you drill straight through the slabs at the same diameter as the tang holes the bolts wont be holding onto anything will they? Am i correct or is there something obvious i'm missing or is there a secret trick knifemakers use?

Regards and thanks:

Max

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
yup you are correct, you need a wider hole. I normally go deeper than half way. I try and leave a good 2 or 3mm. You can just about see it in this pic. oh and try not to mess it up like I did in this piccie....

3585986330_c744440df3_b.jpg

you should really have a nice step drill but I get away with a tin drill and then a thick one, the wood drills I have are pretty flat at the tip. Make treble sure you have the right size drill and then make treble sure you're drilling the right side then make treble sure you get the 2 holes centred (tricky) you do have a little leeway as you can file away the little hole slightly if needs be

cheers,

alan

Last edited:

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
lol chainsaw, I did the same thing last week.

The easy way to do it is just to get a countersink drill bit of the the right size, and thne you don't have to worry about drilling to far through (and it keeps the smaller hole central).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE