Knife-grumbles thread

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Used my Mora 106 to cut out 'punch out' plates on some electrical boxes on the weekend. Did the last one and realised the tip had snapped off. Bugger, bugger and bugger again.

I can grind it to a rounded tip but it won't be the same. bugger

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
You could grind the to a simialr shape that it was, but you'd need to reset the end bevel like the rest to make it match/perform well.

Got a picture of how bad it is..?

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Used my Mora 106 to cut out 'punch out' plates on some electrical boxes on the weekend. ...

That's what I'd call "abuse".

I'm not above abusing a tool, but you have to be prepared for the consequences if you do it.

Generally I use more-or-less disposable tools for abusive applications.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Yup - that is abuse :)
Also - at that price - the knife is replaceable.
Use a Hults Craftsman next time ... less expensive abuse...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
A Ranger at a firelighting demo day wedged my wee 'iron age' knife into a split in a stick of elder and twisted. It's now missing it's tip :sigh:
Choob just held it up and said, "ooops, sorreeee" :rolleyes:

Thing is, it's a little short blade anyway and I need to find someone who'll regrind it, but I haven't a clue how it's going to look when it's done, or if it's worth doing anyway.

Not a 'ticularly happy egg that day :(

M

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
That's what I'd call "abuse".

I'm not above abusing a tool, but you have to be prepared for the consequences if you do it.

Generally I use more-or-less disposable tools for abusive applications.
I'd agree with you - but these were plastic pattress boxes! Used to be that you could snap out the holes with a screwdriver but these were just molded indicators.

The end 1/4" is gone so I don't think it is grindable back to original profile. My own stupid fault, yes. Could make it a chisel tip I suppose

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
A Ranger at a firelighting demo day wedged my wee 'iron age' knife into a split in a stick of elder and twisted. It's now missing it's tip :sigh:
Choob just held it up and said, "ooops, sorreeee" :rolleyes:

Thing is, it's a little short blade anyway and I need to find someone who'll regrind it, but I haven't a clue how it's going to look when it's done, or if it's worth doing anyway.

Not a 'ticularly happy egg that day :(

M

Never mind "Iron Age" Toddy you should've gone Medieval on his bahoochie. :D
Horrible when someone does that to your kit. Bad enough if you do it yourself but I know your too polite to go through him and tell him off.
Hope you get it sharpened up soon.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Not so much with quality of a knife, but had a condor machete some time ago and asked one of the lads at work if he wouldn't mind putting saw teeth on it. He did... On the blade not the spine! If I still have it I'll pop a picture up at some point. Had 3 get her gators chip to buggery too and finally went for their bolo, brilliant bit of kit

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Oh Charley, you silly twit :slap: No sympathy from me I'ma afraid mate :D I don't think I'd do that with any knife, not for fear of damaging the knife but because of the inherent risk to my hand! I'm sure the rest of you knife will serve you well in any case

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I was resting it on carpet and pushing down . . .
I think it chipped when I needed to make a hole bigger and I whittled it.

Really surprised me, as I've used a mora to 'whittle' the edge of a hole in mild steel before and all it did was blunt the edge (and successfully whittled bits of steel).

Now Toddy's story is a legit grumble. Very trusting of you, Toddy, lending out a rare knife like that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE