Knife from an old saw blade advice please.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I have been given an old metal saw blade, one of them bigger ones that go in a machine....I seem to remember reading somewhere that they make good knifes...Can anyone point me in the right direction, or help......Thanks..

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
If I am right that you are talking about the big power hacksaw blades, then there was a thread to do with them on here recently.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=18522

I have played around with some of it and found it was a lot of trouble to work. Cutting and profiling done with an angle grinder, then grinding bevels (full flat) with 72"x2" belts. It would have been easier to do a scandi grind, but this stuff is a beast to sharpen and I didn't want to have to take off any more metal during edge maintenance than I have to.

You might have more luck on http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=741

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=392050
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=446380
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159875
for starters.

Reactions: Toddy and JonnyP

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
hi,just browsing through the edged section and seen this thread ,i made a basic knife from a power hacksaw blade.when in my teens, years ago it still had the blue on it etc,i remember there being a article in the survival weaponry & techniques mag that i had kept from when i was even younger,shame i dont have them anymore.[showing my age now so i will go.lol]

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Well, I have made a start on it, I was rained off work today, so I nipped up the shed.....
Not really sure what I am doing here, so any feedback will be helpful.
First I cut the hacksaw blade in half with a disk cutter...
dsc00225mo7.jpg

Then I placed another knife (an F1) over the blade and made a pencil mark to get the outline. I cut out to the pencil mark with a bench grinder. Then I very carefully used the grinder to make a sort of scandi grind on the blades edge. I am not up on heat treatment, but I knew that I musn't get the blade too hot, so I went slowly and carefully and kept quenching in water, would this be ok..?
dsc00226jn6.jpg

I then found the last bit of oak I had from making my bucksaw, just enough for some scales...
dsc00227uc1.jpg

Then I glued (no nails) one side on first and drilled a couple of pilot holes for the pins, probably going to use some cut down nails for pins, cos thats all I have got..
dsc00228li5.jpg

Then I stuck on the other side and they are now stuck in a vice, until the glue has dried....
dsc00229ww7.jpg

dsc00231vy1.jpg

I have probably made loads of mistakes, but its fun trying and is a new experence for me. Next I will need to drill and insert the pins (nails), shape the scales, any tips..?, file the edge better (will a file work on this..?). Also I am a bit worried that the blade is too long for the thickness of the metal (its only 1.8mm thick), would I be better giving it a smaller (say 75mm) blade....?
Any comments, tips and advice appreciated....Thanks..

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
He John,

I have no idea if what you are doing is correct or not but a damn fine exercise in leaning about materials if nothing else.

Keep at it and show us the finished knife.

Proof in the pudding is how well it keeps an edge and with all the whittling you do that shouldn't take long to find out :D

David

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
looks great and why worry - you have the other half for the mk2 improved version once you have tested mk1! ;)

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I think its looking great,
I've an older green river knife that was as thin & long as that and it seems ok.
I followed the £5 sharpening set thread elsewhere on the forum and this may be the thing for sorting the edge.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
moduser said:
He John,

I have no idea if what you are doing is correct or not but a damn fine exercise in leaning about materials if nothing else.

Keep at it and show us the finished knife.

Proof in the pudding is how well it keeps an edge and with all the whittling you do that shouldn't take long to find out :D

David
Yes, I will show the progress, through to the completed knife...The weather does not sound good for this week, and as I have a weather dependant job on at the mo, the knife may get finished this week.........

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
g4ghb said:
looks great and why worry - you have the other half for the mk2 improved version once you have tested mk1! ;)
Lol, yes, your right, I do have the mk 2 ready to go, maybe I will get into all this knife making...

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
JohnC said:
I think its looking great,
I've an older green river knife that was as thin & long as that and it seems ok.
I followed the £5 sharpening set thread elsewhere on the forum and this may be the thing for sorting the edge.
Cheers for that John, I can leave the knife as it is for now, but if it is too flexy, I can always shorten the blade....

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Got the next stage finished after I got back from work today. Took the knife (can I call it a knife yet..?) out of the vice and started to shape the handle. I did this by grinding down the wood on the bench grinder, it did the job well, and quickly too. I also found a 4" steel nail and cut it down to use as pins for the scales. I drilled right through the scales using a very slightly bigger drill than the nail diameter. I filled up the drill holes with some no nails (yes ironic, isn't it) and pushed the nail pieces through and now its going to wait till that has dried....
dsc00232te6.jpg

I am still thinking that the blade looks too big, so I might reduce it in size...
Any comments welcome, even if you are going to slate it.........

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
bushwacker bob said:
That looks exellent Jon. I'd suggest Alu oxide paper(liberty green) to sand the scales as seasoned oak is very hard stuff.
Cheers Bob, that oak was what I used to make my buck saw, I am very familiar with the stuff now, and yes it is the green ali oxide I use, good stuff....

Reactions: janiepopps

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE