Knife for my daughter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
I am looking for a knife for my daughter. She is 6 years old, responsible for her age and likes to learn bushcraft skills. She won't use it without my supervision and has demonstrated good handling skills of kitchen knives (she can chop vegetables and meat without issue) and my camp axe (small enough for her to carry and hold, and can chop thin branches without issue).

I would like to handle to be made from Birch and maple if possible...front half Birch, back half maple, any flourishing is optional. Spalted wood is preferred but not a requirement.

Blade length no bigger than 8cms max.

Leather sheath with her name in Furthark (Hamish has the details), and thors hammer, ideally with the leather dyed pink.

Let me know pricing please :)

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
So you're after a commissioned knife for your daughter?

Sounds like it will be a lovely knife and she'll be a lucky girl goodjob
Yeah. She's old enough I think and has good knife skills. Would rather she can use it early and safely than later and be frivolous with it and act up (IE teen years) but right now looking at price range so I know how much to put aside :)

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
Not at all. I don't want a bidding war. If the price is fair then I'll pay it. I've not yet done a bidding war for any product I've had commissioned and generally find the maker knows their worth.

My bracers for example, Hamish charged more than others were quoting but looking at the work I went for it and had a good experience throughout.

I'm happy to do the same again and if you don't want to publicly post a price, that's fine, you can always send it via PM.

I ask for a range so I know the top end of what to put aside. What I am asking for is unique so I can't buy it off the shelf, and would like to know if I have to put 100 aside or 200 aside or whatever. As I said I will pay a fair price for the work.

kawasemi

May 27, 2009
Where the path takes me
Six...a perfect age to have a first knife. My father bought me my first sheath knife at the age of six - I still remember where and when. I still have it 40 years later and will never part with it - especially as he embarked on a new journey some 11 years ago. Creating something that your daughter will treasure is excellent and one of the best investments you could make :eek:

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
Must admit I put a handle on one of Marks blades and it was top quality. If he can do what you want for around a ton I doubt you'll find a better deal anywhere.

tamoko

Jun 28, 2009
Zuerich
bushcraftru.com
for 6 years old
FT12108 Mora Wood Carving Basic
1628-3.jpg

or
Mora 105 Basic Wood Carving Knife

IMG_5110.jpg

Light and save, great for any children. And not expensive.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE