Knife for a newbie?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jas

Nov 3, 2004
flintshire, north wales
Hello Everybody:

I'm new to this forum and also to the bushcraft scene. I am wondering what knives people would recommend for general bushcraft use. I don't want to pay a fortune as it will probably get a bit of a hammering as I find my way.

I've heard mention of Frost Mora knives, but the cheap ones look a little flimsy. Any ideas?

Thanks

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I think it's well worth getting a mora to get used to using knives in a outdoor sense.
Another cheap one would be a green river knife
http://www.sheffieldknives.co.uk/shop/Hunting_Knives1966.ht
or the seamens knife
http://www.sheffieldknives.co.uk/shop/Seamens_Knives1994.htm
These cost more then a mora but are hand made by Jack Adams. I quite like his stuff. Remember that you might want to buy something to sharpen a knife on. Though if you want a cheap option for that wet and dry paper srayed with wd40(or similar) works very well.
this thread on britishblades might interest you
http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5921
People like to back up their fixed blade with a SAK or opinel (easy to find and cheap). Multitoos come later but they tend to cost a lot more then budget knives (for one worth having)

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I would recommend one of the Mora knives everytime. I own the Swedish Army Knife (SWaK) and it is one tough blade for little money spent. I'm also a big fan of the Mora 2000 knife. Both knives are excellent wood working blades and you'd really have to abuse them to break them.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
flimsy isnt a word i would associate with the Mora!!! its a great, probably the best knife to start on.. mine has taken a good beating, and even if you do mannage to damage, which would be a hell of a job! it then at 10 squid its not great loss.

Welcome to BCUK :wave:

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
my vote go's with the mora the only way you could break it would be to snap the blade out of the moulded handle and like tom said for a tenner you wont be crying over it if you did :wave:

Greenpete

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2004
Oxfordshire
www.greenpete.co.uk
Hi!
I would recommend making your own knife! I like the Ray Mears design and have made quite a few. I also show you how to make a knife on my web site http://www.greenpete.co.uk/knife_making.html
I hope you find what your looking for.
Pete
Garths%20knife1.jpg

hootchi

Settler
I think that that site is brilliant. Its what I have been looking for, all the other sites i have found have been in the US and none of the materials are available over here. I am seriously considering making a knife now.

Cheers

Greenpete

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2004
Oxfordshire
www.greenpete.co.uk
hootchi said:
I think that that site is brilliant. Its what I have been looking for, all the other sites i have found have been in the US and none of the materials are available over here. I am seriously considering making a knife now.

Cheers
Well thank you kind sir for your nice words!
I hope your serious consideration results in a lovely new knife! One that you'll be proud of and will work well and be a pleasure to use.
Pete

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Hi jas, welcome to BCUK.

What is your kinda price range?

I'd probably agree about the mora. But it might be an idea to get another, the mora to make mistakes on, and your other primary/nice ;) knife.

The Northstar is a great knife, one highly recomended (especially from me). Here is the order list in which you can buy one. Or i think you can go through joes website but it's under construction. Best to just drop him a private message and get one to your instructions (you can customise them!).

Or there are the Ray Mears knives. The Micarta and Maple wilkinson swords. And the hand made Alan Wood. If your not going for the Alan Wood then the general feeling is for the Micarta.

Or there are the Kellam Lapp Puukko's. You can find them under J-line, they have excellent reviews. I had one and it was great. Probably your best bet to be honest. Very strong as once illustrated, can someone find that video?? :lol:

All of the Bark river knives I own are great. The Highland is slightly smaller than the Northstar, but great all the same, awesome cutting power. All convex grinds.
The mini-canadian is a very useful wee tool. But not a primary knife.

I hope thats of some help :biggthump .

Jake

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Jake a whole post about knives and you didn't try and sell the man a starkie you disappoint me!! I like the new signature by the way. :wink:

Bill

J

JeremyH

I agree with Hootchie - also good to see a site that is respectful of nature and living with it rather than taking from. Well done Green Pete - by the way when did Feathers and Chris Wholeland make their knives?

jeremyh

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Hi Jas

Welcome to the forum. In answer to your question, the Frosts knives are cheap and well made for the money (they issue em to the swedish army I believe, so they can't be all bad). But if you're after a challenge, I say take green Pete's advice and make your own. I saw Bowdrill Dave's knife which he made with Pete's help and guidance and it's fantastic, and so much more special because he 'brought it to life' himself and it's made specifically for his hand. Farriers and blacksmiths bin old files and will usually dig you one out if you ask nicely, and if you fancy making a forge, look here...

http://www.vikingmetalworks.com/firepot.html

jas

Nov 3, 2004
flintshire, north wales
Thanks to everyone for all the info - You've certainly given me plenty to go on.

Greenpete's site is excellent and definitely something I'd like to attempt in the future - but I don't think my skills are up to that yet!

It looks like my main options are the Mora, Green River, or the Finnish Utility knife, as I want a inexpensive knife to develop skills without worrying whether I'm going to ruin a more expensive knife.

Cheers everyone (and thanks for being friendly to a newbie)!

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
tenbears10 said:
Jake a whole post about knives and you didn't try and sell the man a starkie you disappoint me!! I like the new signature by the way.

Bill

Knew i missed something!

Jas Get yourself a starkie sharp. Its a revolutionary new way in which to get a mirrored, razor edge on your knife. And at a fiver, you can't go wrong! :eek:):
||
||
||
\/

Moine

Forager
Just an humble thought, courtesy of my neuron (no, the "s" is not missing...),

Why should there be any difference between an beginner's knife and a knife?

Maybe a beginner won't be willing to spend as much money on a blade... but hey: me neither ;)

I think the DIY suggestion is a great one.

Personally, I have 2 faves:

- Swamp Rats : toughest blades imaginable IMO
- Moras : for the price (9-10$) they can't be beat. Sharp, tougher than you'd think and... well... usable. I love their simple, efficient design.

Cheers :D

David

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE