knife damage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I make no bones about it; I use wedges :D
Usually the first outside split is the wedge.

I did a small knife used for battoning thread a while ago. I'll see if I can find it.

I wouldn't normally use an opinel for this, but it was to hand, and I thought well, why not ? Give it a go.
Problem with the opinel is that the lock rings are really just finger saving devices and they're very bendable. I had my hand right over the joint on it tbh, just providing an extra stability.

The best results are obtained when the user remembers that the knife back should only be hit as hard as the other hand can hold the handle steady. Let it spring and you chance busting your knife.
Think of it like a froe, and like Yoda said, there is no try. Do or do not do.

One of these days this is going to come back and bite me, isn't it ? :rolleyes:
I'm not advocating the use of the opinel or a stick tang for this technique simply because those are the most vulnerable *if* it goes wrong.
I do it, my friends do it, and we've yet to bust a knife. I suggest that practicing with something cheap might not be a bad idea for folks who don't get to use their knives very often. The only way to be confident using your knife, to learn it's limitations and abilities, is to use it.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
More than likely :sigh:
I've had a couple of really good knives, (not Chinese copies, or similar) fail on me, and it wasn't the use they were given. Just quality control missed one, and the other the glue on the scales failed.
Fortunately the company stood by their guarantee without quibble.

cheers,
Toddy

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have always thought of heavy batonning as "abuse"...splitting a little straight grained kindling may be OK with a knife but leave brute work to wedges. They are quick to make, cheap and do not matter if they break ...unlike knives!
A knife is a cutting and slicing tool, mauls and wedges are for splitting....

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
well it could be very thin edge geometry (never seen one) Or could be heat treated slightly too soft

wickerman

May 6, 2010
norfolk
i own one of these knives and would not batton with it because of the cut out in the blade,they are ment to be a light weight last resort survival knife not every day use if you are going to batton on a regular bases use a 4'' 4mm blade.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
well it could be very thin edge geometry (never seen one) Or could be heat treated slightly too soft

I just looked it up on youtube, about five minutes in to this video you can see that it is quite thin.

[video=youtube;glrnFUTQ1Hs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glrnFUTQ1Hs[/video]

It isn't a very pretty knife. :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire

Is it not kind of odd that the edge folded ?
I've pinged tiny wee chips out of a knife edge before, but never folded one.

I found the thread I mentioned earlier, and the link to the good battoning (batoning???, no idea which is correct, just that the latter always minds me of those little girls in sparkly costumes spinning glittery sticks) article is here.

http://www.barkriverknives.com/docs/batoning.pdf

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39163

cheers,
Toddy

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
Bit of a moot question no?

If you suspect 'Poor heat treat' you will need to quantify it (get it the edge hardness checked out proffesionally and see what the manufactured spec is) otherwise you can't say the supplier gave you a dodgy tool.
so if you feel peeved that the edge rolled, then give them a call.
but seeing as you think it was over enthusiasm...so be it....better to have a soft blade if you plan on abusing it, as it bends rather than snaps.

I lost my fave knife (an opinel I had for years) when some body desided to put a side load through it.....so it can pay some times to keep a squidgy blade aside for folk who enjoy being rough and tough with kit.

Mojo

T

tommy11

I tried to straighten out the blade with a hammer.... quite gently and a piece of metal chipped off the blade...it's now totally ruined....

Well it did last 2 days:lmao:

At least I've still got my trusty SAK

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I tried to straighten out the blade with a hammer.... quite gently and a piece of metal chipped off the blade...it's now totally ruined....

Not totally ruined, just showing signs of use. :)

Was it the bent bit which broke away? If so you could just put an edge on what's left and away you go.

If not, well, maybe you were hitting the wrong bit... :lmao:

ickyan

Forager
Jun 26, 2009
shropshire
Maybee

however perhaps the edge is sharpened to thin.
Once i put a very thin razor edge on a opinel, after batoning a small stick it was gone!

Then again, there is a lot of bad steel out there and the edge rolling as opposed to chipping probably hints that it is too soft.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE