Knife Commission

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterHW

Forager
Dec 31, 2005
U.K.
In fairness though to the OP and others commenting earlier in this thread....he did'nt ask about a Jerry Fisk Art Knife in damascus...he asked about a 3 to 4 inch flat spine upswept blade in horn or antler and by implication it was to be a work knife...not a collectors piece...

Personally I think coming into the OP's thread and telling him what he should be doing about requesting a knife for his own birthday is a bit OTT...some what arrogant really...then jumping on S/F for the "timeline" issue on making such a knife by showing an Art Knife which is very far removed from what the OP wanted...just seems pointless and done solely to win an arguement...

One which the OP clearly did'nt want and did'nt appreciate...

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
In fairness though to the OP and others commenting earlier in this thread....he did'nt ask about a Jerry Fisk Art Knife in damascus...he asked about a 3 to 4 inch flat spine upswept blade in horn or antler and by implication it was to be a work knife...not a collectors piece...

Personally I think coming into the OP's thread and telling him what he should be doing about requesting a knife for his own birthday is a bit OTT...some what arrogant really...then jumping on S/F for the "timeline" issue on making such a knife by showing an Art Knife which is very far removed from what the OP wanted...just seems pointless and done solely to win an arguement...

One which the OP clearly did'nt want and did'nt appreciate...

Well that's one way of looking at it. Here's another. My original post in this thread was an attempt to be constructive. It is difficult to get what you want by just asking for it, partly because such a request is likely to get swamped with a dirge of unwanted or biassed opinions. My advice was to look around, find what he liked the look of, in his budget and approach the maker directly. I pointed out that almost all professional makers have a waiting list which would probably make a February delivery difficult. Perhaps my wording was a little off, but I think the nugget was solid advice. Sadly, some members took offence at the waiting list issue, probably because their favourite maker, whose products they relentless pimp, doesnt have one ...and decided to turn it into something of a ****ing contest. Laughably, they ****ed on their own shoes. The purpose of posting the Fisk bowie was to illustrate the utter nonsense being spoken by these internet eggspurts and to highlight the obvious agenda motivating the comments ...which I think it did very well.

My apologies to the OP, my comments were intended as constructive, but as often happens, my words get jumped on by a clique with an axe to grind. Such is life.

Anyway, the OP now has a commission under way, so it's all rather pointless isn't it? :)

Last edited:

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Well that's one way of looking at it. Here's another. My original post in this thread was an attempt to be constructive. It is difficult to get what you want by just asking for it, partly because such a request is likely to get swamped with a dirge of unwanted or biassed opinions. My advice was to look around, find what he liked the look of, in his budget and approach the maker directly. I pointed out that almost all professional makers have a waiting list which would probably make a February delivery difficult. Perhaps my wording was a little off, but I think the nugget was solid advice. Sadly, some members took offence at the waiting list issue, probably because their favourite maker, whose products they relentless pimp, doesnt have one ...and decided to turn it into something of a ****ing contest. Laughably, they ****ed on their own shoes. The purpose of posting the Fisk bowie was to illustrate the utter nonsense being spoken by these internet eggspurts and to highlight the obvious agenda motivating the comments ...which I think it did very well.

My apologies to the OP, my comments were intended as constructive, but as often happens, my words get jumped on by a clique with an axe to grind. Such is life.

Anyway, the OP now has a commission under way, so it's all rather pointless isn't it? :)

Mate, I've never had a beef with you, and I certainly don't 'relentlessly pimp' anyone's work, though I also took your comment about waiting lists the bad way. If you'd just said that most makers have a waiting list there probably wouldn't have been a problem, it was the implication that makers who don't have a six month waiting list are bad. Surely, as a knife enthusiast you can appreciate that quality of blade is not the only factor that determines popularity of maker. From your first statement, whether you intended it or not, the bad conclusion was an easy one to jump to and apologising probably would have cleared it up a lot faster than 'Chill out' and 'Good grief'.

I also don't think that Jerry Fisk is a reasonable example of a 'good knifemaker'. He does some absolutely outstanding work, it's just bizarre to use that knife to imply that a good knife takes a long time to make.

And outside the original argument, it's pretty damn s***ty the way some have just jumped on board to have a dig at Josh.

Just my humble thoughts, as always.

Pete

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Y'know two Mods have already asked that this thread be returned to it's original purpose.

Niggles concerning a young man, who rather set himself up for his putdown, being brought on here from another forum are not appreciated either.

Thread closed.

Toddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE