knife blade sources?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
Hi all I am sick and tired of getting knives and not having the handle fit my odd hands. I have been looking high and low for knife blade sources so I can fit the handle to me and not try to fit me to the handle.

Here is what I am looking for, a knife that is flat ground, no more than 1/4" thick, prefer 3/16" thick, and with a 7-10" blade. Either full tang or a stick tang.

Either a stock removal blade or a forged blade is fine.

Any ideas guys? If there are new bladesmiths or blacksmiths or anyone that is trying to make knives that you know of I would love to get in touch with someone to make me a blade.

I am pullin my hair out over looking for a new knife, sold all of em off and trying to start over with knives that fit me.

Any help or direction would be great. I have looked here in Nova Scotia and cannot find anyone that does large knife work.

Thanks all.

Geoffrey.

Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
British Blades gets my vote, or you could PM Allan Blade on here (pro maker) and discuss your requirements with him. We have a few bladesmiths that post on here, but I will give you 1 warning. If you look at BB, you WILL end up making your own!!!! :D:D:D I made 1, although it snapped in HT :( BBQ's make excellent heat sources for HTment of steel!!! Although you do get odd looks of your guests for paying more attention to the coals than the food, intrespersed with the comments from you of "oh s**t the bbq's melting" :)

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
Thanks guys, does anyone here do any forging? If so a simple blade forged from a leaf spring would be great.

8' - 8.5" blade, flat ground from the spine down to a secondary bevel.

Anyone here do that kinda stuff?

Thanks.

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
To be honest, a "simple blade forged from a leaf spring" isn't going to cost you much less than a simple blade forged from a nice new piece of known steel. The materials cost is a very small part of it... There's something very satisfying in reusing scrap, but there are potential pitfalls.

There's a few smiths around here, but there are more on British Blades & Bladeforums. There's also the Custom Knife Directory and doubtless a bunch of others I haven't subscribed to ;)

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Geoffrey said:
Hi all I am sick and tired of getting knives and not having the handle fit my odd hands. I have been looking high and low for knife blade sources so I can fit the handle to me and not try to fit me to the handle.

Here is what I am looking for, a knife that is flat ground, no more than 1/4" thick, prefer 3/16" thick, and with a 7-10" blade. Either full tang or a stick tang.

Either a stock removal blade or a forged blade is fine.

Any ideas guys? If there are new bladesmiths or blacksmiths or anyone that is trying to make knives that you know of I would love to get in touch with someone to make me a blade.

I am pullin my hair out over looking for a new knife, sold all of em off and trying to start over with knives that fit me.

Any help or direction would be great. I have looked here in Nova Scotia and cannot find anyone that does large knife work.

Thanks all.

Geoffrey.

You might find THIS link usefull as they have all typed of blade blanks from 01 tool steel to damascus :)

Oh and this book will give you a usefull insight into knifemaking steels
PUB07.jpg

hyfan

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2004
Beds
Hi Geoffery
If you get stuck I could probably forge or make a blade blank from 01 stock,
It would be 5160 if forged. I am a hobbiest maker so the blade would be of a reasonable quality, but it would take about a month to make. The only thing is that the postage to Canada would be expensive for a blade of this length. Try local makers but let me know if your really stuck.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE