Knife Based Survival Kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I prefer real cider but getting hold of that where I am is a PITA, last night was a strongbow night. It was one of those days at work for me and my missis and strongbow is the only cider in the local off licence! A couple of cans turned into a few and then all of them. Heads not too bad today though:eek: A can of strongbow hasn't seen an apple in it life. I just wish I lived in or near Somerset.

Cider is normally seen as a "kids" drink and most people grow out of it and move on to beer. I've never worked out why because its normally stronger than most beers/largers but it seems to be accepted that way over here.

I obviously haven't grown up yet:D The range of flavours that can be found in the real cider(and real ale, it's just not my thing) world is wonderful.

Cheers

Grebby

I understand that..., it's been one of those weeks for me. I used to get some good home made apple cider and good home made wine when my great uncle was still alive. Also I happen to like my peter pan syndrome..., I don't intend to ever grow up.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Buy or make a press grebby - I can't pretend to the output of Stovie but the wine, cider and <coughs> fire wine I make seems to go down well enough ;)

Interesting post Mistwalker - thanks. My kit lives in a "possibles pouch" on my belt but the principle is the same - certain things should stay with you!

Red

Buy or make a press grebby - I can't pretend to the output of Stovie but the wine, cider and <coughs> fire wine I make seems to go down well enough ;)

Interesting post Mistwalker - thanks. My kit lives in a "possibles pouch" on my belt but the principle is the same - certain things should stay with you!

Red

Thanks, my stuff tends to be modular and reconfigurable depending on circumstances..., I like flexibility and options lol.

I have a friend in Canada that has a company called Wildertools that makes some wonderful handforged knives ( I love his steel craft), great fire kits, and some really nice leather possibles pouches. He made a prototype knife for me..., that I wanted for my oldest daughter, and a nice Scandi sheath

Bushlore&

PICT0889.jpg

PICT0890.jpg

So now I have to get hime to make her a nice leather shoulder possibles bag to match lol.

galew

Tenderfoot
Actualy it's ability to function in these capacities only shines if you for some reason find yourself without a knife. You see a survival knife is simply whatever edge you happen to find yourself using to cut with in a survival situation whether it be; a fixed blade knife, a folder, a box cutter, a can lid, a piece of broken glass, or a sharp stone, and ummm.., I have gutted fish with sharp rocks, sticks, and a P-38 and I have to say I prefer using the can opener as it is much handier, and I'd rather use the P-38 than my larger fixed blade kinives to strip wire in tight places, and it works better than a sharp stick on cutting cloth or rubber hose. While yes a knife will work fine as a can opener it will also dull more quickly when employed this way and the P-38 wieghs next to nothing and takes up so little space that it is worth taking along, it's all in context and subject circumstances.

Thank you for for the compliments on the sheath.

The P38 could also be used as the striker for the firefero

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Im pretty fond of cider too, but it can be a pain getting decent (at least 8% alcohol) stuff.

Asda do a nice range (forget their own brand, its just as nasty as strongbow)

Its a shame how these fancy pubs that sell draught ale and many wines and 50 whiskies only offer strongbow...Cider is getting very popular these days.

Do you like perry too? (pear cider)

Westons are a good brewery.

I plan to make pouches like this when I get round to making sheaths for my machetes...which will be when I decide between leather, black or OG...

sad eh?

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
Im pretty fond of cider too, but it can be a pain getting decent (at least 8&#37; alcohol) stuff.

Its a shame how these fancy pubs that sell draught ale and many wines and 50 whiskies only offer strongbow...Cider is getting very popular these days.

I plan to make pouches like this when I get round to making sheaths for my machetes...which will be when I decide between leather, black or OG...

sad eh?

I love perry too. My wife and I are lifetime members of CAMRA and were the APPLE reps for our area for a while but no time and a lack of real cider in the areas pubs meant that we gave that up. I do know of a few pubs with a decent range of real cider BUT no public transport links which means I have to drive (she doesn't have a licence) and she get the benifits. That said if I'm stuck in a pub but aren't to drink I am a right miserable err... person.

Don't get me started on Westons. Its been called "loopy juice" for a long time in our family. Either my wife or I have to be on something else or there WILL be a BIG argument.
Best so far has been, big argument (about what I don't know:rolleyes: ), big strop, go home whilst sat at opposite ends of the train with friends going between. We tend to stay off the westons now. Strangly it is only westons that causes this, we can get absoultly legless on varoius others and arrive back home holding each other (vaguely) upright having a great time.
Most of their stuff is a little too middle of the road for me anyway, certainly old rosie, I prefer very dry stuff normally.

British Red - As for DIY, I'd love to but lack the space to do so or even just store the barrels at the moment. It is something I will try at some point but our entire house is only 12ft wide so moving may be necessary first. I could probably have a play at dads farm but 140 miles each way for a drink is a little too dedicated for me:eek:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If you are ever in Hampshire - try the Hampshire Bowman. Always have a range of real cider on the go (trestle and tap too - no pumps). Easily walkable from public transport in Bishops Waltham (and indeed my cottage over the fields). Stonking pub and very good brews. You kind of need a lurcher to get in though :)

Red

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
Im pretty fond of cider too, but it can be a pain getting decent (at least 8% alcohol) stuff.

sad eh?

I paid a visit to Westons brewery earlier this year and did the tour, they were over run at the tasting bar at the end of the tour so we ended up helping ourselves!
3 pints of the vintage 8.2% later I ended up buying a case and the rest of the day was a bit of a blur, lovely stuff though and can usually be found in tesco or sainsbury.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

Red

Or put the apples through a juice. I do that for about 25l worth each year.

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
Mistwalker;451538]39 Uses for the P38
This list of P-38 uses was compiled by Steve Wilson, MSG Proponent NCO, Dept. of the Army Office of the Chief of Chaplains, The Pentagon. It is posted at the Ft. Bliss Air Defense Artillery Museum among other places:

25. Clean Sole of Boot/Shoe
26. Pick Teeth

Health and Safety tip

Be sure to pick teeth before cleaning the s**t off your boots ;)

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
Very nice work MW, I'm really impressed. I tried a similar kind of thing with my old Gerber BMF back in the '90s, though with a little less success. I think that I might give it another go...

BTW, what's the difference between a P38 and a P50? I've got a bunch of what I thought were P38s from ration packs in the '80s and '90s. I discounted keeping them in a survival kit because my EDC is an SAK, complete with can opener. Another thing I may reconsider.

I noticed your collection in another post, too. You have a discerning taste, sir, I am very envious.

Claudiasboris

Very nice work MW, I'm really impressed. I tried a similar kind of thing with my old Gerber BMF back in the '90s, though with a little less success. I think that I might give it another go...

BTW, what's the difference between a P38 and a P50? I've got a bunch of what I thought were P38s from ration packs in the '80s and '90s. I discounted keeping them in a survival kit because my EDC is an SAK, complete with can opener. Another thing I may reconsider.

I noticed your collection in another post, too. You have a discerning taste, sir, I am very envious.

Claudiasboris

Thank you sir, I appreciate the complimnet.

A P-51 is is just a larger version of the P-38, roughly double I suppose.

I don't so much have a collection....I try a lot of knives out and what I really have is a rack I hang the survivors on....the ones that don't get stuffed into different packs or given as gifts once I feel ok with giving it.

Mistwalker;451538]39 Uses for the P38
This list of P-38 uses was compiled by Steve Wilson, MSG Proponent NCO, Dept. of the Army Office of the Chief of Chaplains, The Pentagon. It is posted at the Ft. Bliss Air Defense Artillery Museum among other places:

25. Clean Sole of Boot/Shoe
26. Pick Teeth

Health and Safety tip

Be sure to pick teeth before cleaning the s**t off your boots ;)

Agreed!! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE