Knife and I made the local Rag

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I ran a spoon carving workshop on Sunday for the local country park, and the Derby telegraph must have been desperate for stories tonight :eek: I managed to sneek in the last puukko I made too :)

000_0722.jpg

The course was great fun and quite popular, managed to train up 14 novices in safe knife use and basic carving. I split them into two groups which pretty much filled the day.

The looks from the rest of the visitors outside at the cafe was priceless. Most people around the area are used to knives being associated with crime. Trying to counter this was the biggest motivation for me to succeed. Students had a couple of minor cuts, quick plaster and back to work.

Hoping to run some more in the future as cheap as possible for the general public on behalf of the County Council. :)

Last edited:

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
famous at last mate! that has to be the first time ever that there's been a mention of knifes in the derby telegraph without the mention of crime! i picked up a booklet about up-coming countryside events in derbyshire from my local adult education centre a little while ago, i had a funny feeling that it would be you doing the spoon carving. i'm hoping to get along to "an introduction to bushcraft" at shipley country park in september, mainly to poke fun and wind you up!

stuart

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Thanks fellas. Pop on down Stu in September it should be a good day, I think that ones free, as is the Wild food walk I'm doing.

I'll be doing some more at Elvaston Castle too, and the woodland festival there will be the bigger festival of the year. Make the most of it as it could be game over next year with the cuts :(

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
He he, got any details Stu ?.......

from the derbyshire county council leaflet:

sunday 11 september
10am - 12:30pm
introduction to bushcraft
eplore shipley country park from a different perspective with a walk finding out how natural resources, combined with the right skills and knowledge, can make time spent in the countryside a comfortable and involving experience. some basic subjects demonstrated will be shelter, water, fire and food.
meet: mapperly car park, shipley country park
length: 3 miles
equipment: suitable clothing and footwear
cost: FREE
information contact: shipley country park 01773 719961
BOOKING ESSENTIAL

sounds like a great day out to me.

stuart

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Nice one Paul, good to hear some opinions on knives have maybe been changed for the better thanks to your workshop. It's also a bonus to see you got the blatant self promotion in with your knife, it's gotta be done, can't beat a crafty bsp!

Edit; Ha ha, only just noticed the spoon forging bit! Is that the correct terminology or some ancient dark art you can show us at North Woods?

Last edited:

rancid badger

Hah! well done you;)

I had to fight tooth and nail, to avoid TV and press coverage, when I was doing bushcraft for the Forestry Commission and Friends of Chopwell Wood:rolleyes:

The FC was desperate to get me to do TV stuff but I really wasn't interested at all.
I couldn't see the point, as ( after I dug my heels in and made them double the charge!:rolleyes:) they were charging a fiver a place, for events that could easily have brought in £40-£50 per person and while I had nothing to gain at all from the events, I did at least want my efforts to bring in decent funds for the coffers.

Anyway, well done

atb

R.B.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Hah! well done you;)

I had to fight tooth and nail, to avoid TV and press coverage, when I was doing bushcraft for the Forestry Commission and Friends of Chopwell Wood:rolleyes:

The FC was desperate to get me to do TV stuff but I really wasn't interested at all.
I couldn't see the point, as ( after I dug my heels in and made them double the charge!:rolleyes:) they were charging a fiver a place, for events that could easily have brought in £40-£50 per person and while I had nothing to gain at all from the events, I did at least want my efforts to bring in decent funds for the coffers.

Anyway, well done

atb

R.B.

Cheers. I know what you mean about the interest, everyone is still going mad for bushcraft related things. The Paper drove from miles away just for a picture and a bit of waffle on a sun afternoon, without us even knowing.

Still if its promoting responsible use of the countryside I don't mind much.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE