Knife and axe injuries (gory photo alert)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Folks

Im planning a little talk on edged tools and as a caution I would like to sprinkle it with some focussed shots of injuries caused by knives axes machetes etc as a result of inattention, inexperience, bad conditions or just plain 'taking your eye off the ball' for an instance. and also the after images when they are healed up (insofar as they have).
Preferably from people who generally do (or ought to) know better. They will be shown to grownups with a generally mature and practical outlook purely to reinforce the point that you dont necessarily have to be a total numpty to damage yourself or others.
For example I refer to the lovely shots that warthog (russ) did to his ankle with an axe last year.
If youre shy about public exposure then by all means PM them to me and I will treat them in confidance (and no names no pack drill etc if desired)
I will not publish or broadcast them and they will be seen only by a select few.

Id appreciate all the help I can get.

Cheers
N ick

Last edited:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Nick,
thats a damned good idea, an annonymous compilation of "Oops!" photos and the resulting scars - from the folk who use the tools most often.

Now why didn't I think of doing that before?

ATB

Ogri the trog

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
Here you go done with a split second loss of concentration with a tap from my axe
PC300016.jpg

Stitched up and repaired :)
P1040019.jpg

Here's a non axe or knife related injury
P1040136.jpg

Done while swimming in a lake in Swedish Lapland after a sauna the water was so cold never felt a thing :eek: no idea what I did it on but we recon that there must have been an old jetty with a head of an nail sticking out :)

Cheers Russ

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
I think you will have a hard time finding material because few use an axe or knife these days except for cooking knifes and very few of them get serious injuries. Alot of axes and bushcraft knifes I see on the internet looks brand new and unused also :). I only know of one old man who chop his thumb of with an axe in his youth but quite a few who have injuries from chainsaws or other power tools.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Here you go done with a split second loss of concentration with a tap from my axe
PC300016.jpg

Stitched up and repaired :)
P1040019.jpg

Here's a non axe or knife related injury
P1040136.jpg

Done while swimming in a lake in Swedish Lapland after a sauna the water was so cold never felt a thing :eek: no idea what I did it on but we recon that there must have been an old jetty with a head of an nail sticking out :)

Cheers Russ

Thanks Russ (nice one i think!!)

Nick

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
Thats such a typical cut - ive come close to that a few times myself

Thanks

Nick

Snap! I've come very close to that as well on more than one occasion. Kinda reinforces your message, and is a darn good idea nick.

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
Dont do as I do, do as I say:
Never have a hand between axe and wood.
07.jpg

i got that one to but mine had six stitches lol
was stressed about going to see the inlaws again and not taking care
axe bounced of a knot on top of the kindling i was chopping and bit me
could see my knuckle joint working freaky

njc110381

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Gloucester, UK
I got one like that on my thumb from splitting kindling. Unfortunately photos weren't the top of my priority list when it happened! I also stuck a machete into my leg when I was a teenager because I swiped at a branch that was rotten and it went straight through it like it wasn't there. My leg was in the arc of the swing which was silly!

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I'm looking at the tracery of white lines on my left forefinger, but they've all healed with little drama.
The fact that there are several proves that it took a variety of blades for me to learn my lesson.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
This thread nearly belongs in Fair Game :rolleyes:

It's a very good idea though. Maybe we should make it a sticky in Edged Tools as a kind of vivid warning.

Take care out there folks.

cheers,
Toddy

Waterworx

Nomad
Nov 22, 2009
Cornwall
Hmm, best not show the GF this thread, she'd never let me loose with any sharp instrument again :D

Seriously though, this is a very good warning for peeps to be careful.

Jul 26, 2009
My Front Room
For those of a strong disposition only my friend in A&E recommends trauma.org An american site she uses for teaching materials. Again this is a site intended for healthcare professionals and not jo public. If you are in any way not comfortable with seeing the inside of humans alive and dead please do not look!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE