Kit you take, kit you don't

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
BlueTrain said:
There was an account published in the December, 1971, issue of Scots Magazine, which I'm sure many of you have lying around, by a man who walked from Cape Wraith, right next to the lighthouse, all the way to Glasgow. His name was A.G. Cousins.

The article was short and he did not delve much into his equipment but he says it was no more than 30 pounds. He also had food supplies mailed to various points along the way. He covered 369 miles in 26 days, which is more than 14 miles a day average. He apparently wore a kilt for the trip.

Inspiring but so far I have made no plans for anything similar in the near future.

30 pounds is very minimal for such a trip. The cape wrath trail was made to extend the west highland way, which runs from glasgow to fort william.To walk the lot would be amazing, but I just do not have that time.............Jon

swamp donkey

Forager
Jun 25, 2005
uk
You probably already know this but I believe that the ferry to/from Ullapool is off until June 2006 (best to check). Great little ferry first used it with the wife in 1983 a great way to access the hills, bothies and lovely coast, Train to Inverness bus to Ullapool, ferry bingo.
As for kit , the lightest boots you can get a way with that dry quick , (for me that means no fancy lining) . lightest sleeping bag you can get away with . Test stuff, if you can ,even if it means camping out in the garden during the worst possible weather. keep on paring down . same with food . the question is how will this help me.

Fully`agree with person who said earlier 2 nights, 2 months same kit.

Travel light walk long, have a great time.,

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
swamp donkey said:
You probably already know this but I believe that the ferry to/from Ullapool is off until June 2006 (best to check). Great little ferry first used it with the wife in 1983 a great way to access the hills, bothies and lovely coast, Train to Inverness bus to Ullapool, ferry bingo.
As for kit , the lightest boots you can get a way with that dry quick , (for me that means no fancy lining) . lightest sleeping bag you can get away with . Test stuff, if you can ,even if it means camping out in the garden during the worst possible weather. keep on paring down . same with food . the question is how will this help me.

Fully`agree with person who said earlier 2 nights, 2 months same kit.

Travel light walk long, have a great time.,

I did not know about the ferry, so thanks for the info, I do have their phone number, so I will check up. A bit concerned about the boots though, mine are 3/4 season La Sportiva Makalu's and are quite heavy, though very good on rough terrain and very comfortable, sleeping bag is really light though, as is most my kit.
Thanks................Jon

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
It's going to be tough, but fun. Good luck with the preparation, as well as the event...I wonder if my son would like to..... ;)

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Not sure when you are going, or how high the route goes, but I have walked in Assynt in January before and above the 1500 foot contour we definitely needed four season boots, ice axes and crampons.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Doc said:
Not sure when you are going, or how high the route goes, but I have walked in Assynt in January before and above the 1500 foot contour we definitely needed four season boots, ice axes and crampons.

I've a friend who camped out up there in January, February & March and she phoned me one afternoon all envigorated, she'd been out walking in thigh deep snow for three hours! :eek: and was going back to sleep in her car. The rest of the time midgies are a nightmare :(

Cheers,
Toddy

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Jon,

Just came across this little book on a dutch site, which gave a brief introduction on the trail you plan to do. They also mentioned the boring book you've got (Patterson), but advised to use this book, as it has some maps, route description, and background info.

The book:
North to the Cape, A Trek from Fort William to Cape Wrath by Denis Brook and Phil Hinchliffe. Cicerone books £11.99

Also found these links:
http://www.capewrathtrail.co.uk
But you probably already knew that by heart ;)

And this one: http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,3604,862057,00.html

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Ahjno said:
Jon,

Just came across this little book on a dutch site, which gave a brief introduction on the trail you plan to do. They also mentioned the boring book you've got (Patterson), but advised to use this book, as it has some maps, route description, and background info.

The book:
North to the Cape, A Trek from Fort William to Cape Wrath by Denis Brook and Phil Hinchliffe. Cicerone books £11.99

Also found these links:
http://www.capewrathtrail.co.uk
But you probably already knew that by heart ;)

And this one: http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,3604,862057,00.html

Thanks for this, Johan.........The book I was aware of, as was the website, but was not aware of that woman dying on the trail, serves as a reminder to me.
I am now going to attempt the trip in september/october time as I have got a very nasty tax bill and won't be able to afford the time off work at the mo. Also doing it then, I won't have to worry about the river levels being heigh due to snow melt.
Cheers..............Jon

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
Hello Jon
This sounds like a really fantastic trip you are planning!
But I wouldnt know what to take, either.
I remember when I did a lot of hiking, in Scotland or Iceland, way back in the beginning of the eighties. I carried a tremendous heavy pack and suffered accordingly, but is was fun nevertheless. But I was way younger and fitter back then.
Now, being much older and having read several books by Nicholas Crane who seemed to carry next to nothing, I would strip down to a max of 10kg or choose another route/destiny. Mostly because I dont want to feel that much pain again and my body wouldnt
make it anyway.
Have a good trip :D

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
oetzi said:
Hello Jon
This sounds like a really fantastic trip you are planning!
But I wouldnt know what to take, either.
I remember when I did a lot of hiking, in Scotland or Iceland, way back in the beginning of the eighties. I carried a tremendous heavy pack and suffered accordingly, but is was fun nevertheless. But I was way younger and fitter back then.
Now, being much older and having read several books by Nicholas Crane who seemed to carry next to nothing, I would strip down to a max of 10kg or choose another route/destiny. Mostly because I dont want to feel that much pain again and my body wouldnt
make it anyway.
Have a good trip :D

Thanks Oetzi..............Like you I have always carried huge loads full of just in case kit and all those little comforts. I now am thinking that I should really carry far less, but on this trip, being in wilderness and no phone reception etc, I really feel I should be sensible about it and carry a few items that may be very useful if a situation arose.

Lithril...........Thanks for the info on the book, but I really do not want to do any more research on the trip, I just need to get out there and do it, if you know what I mean....................Jon

Kirruth

Forager
Apr 15, 2005
Reading
www.bayes.org.uk
I think carrying enough but not too much is key to enjoying the outdoors. Its no fun dragging around stuff you'll never use, but on the other hand, having the capability to make a cup of tea or wrap up warm against the wind can make the difference between a lousy afternoon and a great one.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Jon, I was just searching some old threads about long distace walks and came across this one. Did you get any closer to doing it?

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
dommyracer said:
Jon, I was just searching some old threads about long distace walks and came across this one. Did you get any closer to doing it?
Hi Dom......Still not done it mate, I have been trying to do it for a few years now and something always crops up....Trouble is, I am self employed and the trip will cost me 3 weeks pay as well as the train trip up there and back. I was going to be doing it when the last moot was on in wales...I haven't by any means given up on it, as it is a big ambition of mine. I have all the gear ready, all the maps and me boots are ready to go, just need some money to do it.....
Are you thinking of going on a long distance walk........??

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Cool beans mate, hope it comes off for you.

I have been thinking about doing a long walk for a while now, need to get my fitness levels up, but need some sort of reason for doing this so thought that the goal of a long walk would be ideal.

I recently went on a bushcraft course near your neck of the woods (rowhook) and decided that I would walk in from Warnham station. It was just under 4 miles through fields and I was quite pleased with myself to complete it in just over an hour - that was with a pack that was far far too heavy and 2 x 10 minute rest stops.

I've been thinking about starting off by walking the Ridgeway West to east I - reckon I could do this in under 5 days or if I camped on the trail, but not sure if this is feasible.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE