Kit you take, kit you don't

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
There seems to be two camps here, and I do not know which one to go for. I have taken just about everything on all my trips so far, but I would now like to take less and use my brain a bit more. ie build a shelter instead of carrying it, build a fire instead of using a stove, but is this possible in this country (UK). So many places, if you light a fire,someone will call the fire brigade or the environmental agency. If you make a shelter, you get reported to the police by some goody goody thinking you are damaging something or are a nutter of some sort. You are not alowed to catch and eat fish, trap animals etc etc for food, your not even alowed to pull up wild flowers.
I am planning to walk the cape wrath trail (Fort william to Cape wrath via mainly stalkers paths) it takes about 17 days and you are on your own for a lot of it, with few shops etc on route). What do I take ? obviously I cannot take too much because of weight, but I do not want to get caught out either because there will be no help if I get into trouble.
Any thoughts welcome.....................Jon

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
Jon Pickett said:
There seems to be two camps here, and I do not know which one to go for. I have taken just about everything on all my trips so far, but I would now like to take less and use my brain a bit more. ie build a shelter instead of carrying it, build a fire instead of using a stove, but is this possible in this country (UK). So many places, if you light a fire,someone will call the fire brigade or the environmental agency. If you make a shelter, you get reported to the police by some goody goody thinking you are damaging something or are a nutter of some sort. You are not alowed to catch and eat fish, trap animals etc etc for food, your not even alowed to pull up wild flowers.
I am planning to walk the cape wrath trail (Fort william to Cape wrath via mainly stalkers paths) it takes about 17 days and you are on your own for a lot of it, with few shops etc on route). What do I take ? obviously I cannot take too much because of weight, but I do not want to get caught out either because there will be no help if I get into trouble.
Any thoughts welcome.....................Jon

Yeah..................................I'll go with ya cause, I take every thing with me :D
So you wont have to take so much :lmao:

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I'll go with ya

Hi Pete.........Sorry mate its something I need to do on my own, need to find myself sort of thing. May well do it again though and would welcome company.
It is supposed to be the UK's toughest trail and is the best you get in this country as far as wilderness goes, a few munro's to get over and rivers to cross with no bridges for miles...............Sounds bliss

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
Jon Pickett said:
I'll go with ya

Hi Pete.........Sorry mate its something I need to do on my own, need to find myself sort of thing. May well do it again though and would welcome company.
It is supposed to be the UK's toughest trail and is the best you get in this country as far as wilderness goes, a few munro's to get over and rivers to cross with no bridges for miles...............Sounds bliss

pheeew...................I wheeze at thirty paces, cause I have to much kit :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
wolf said:
i say why put yourself in a survival scenerio when you can be comfortable,if your roughing it your doing it wrong, :)

This is a journey I have been planning for a long time.....If I carry everything, it would be too heavy and uncomfortable on my back and legs (roughing it). If I carry less kit, I may come across a situation where I need it and have not got it (roughing it). I'm still going though...............Jon

PatrickM

Nomad
Sep 7, 2005
Glasgow
www.backwoodsurvival.co.uk
Jon,
Cape Wrath is a remote and fanatastic place to be walking through, one of my favourite places in Scotland. Indeeed all the things you have mentioned are possible there but if you become unstuck it could cost you. Unless you have a lot of experience in wilderness living, take all the essentials with you, as you can be sure that it will be tough going, especially over the autumn/winter months, and ensure that you have contingency plans in place, just in case.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
PatrickM said:
Jon,
Cape Wrath is a remote and fanatastic place to be walking through, one of my favourite places in Scotland. Indeeed all the things you have mentioned are possible there but if you become unstuck it could cost you. Unless you have a lot of experience in wilderness living, take all the essentials with you, as you can be sure that it will be tough going, especially over the autumn/winter months, and ensure that you have contingency plans in place, just in case.

Thanks for that...........I will be leaving my expected arrival times at all the stop off points where I will be staying under a roof like the Cluannie inn ( don't think I spelled that right but I bet you know where I mean). Apart from that I will be on my own........Cor I'm getting all excited about it again, must go and have another look at the maps again, all nine of them......................Jon

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
All the best Jon, I hope you find what you are looking for so to speak :)

All i'd advise is to try and find as many things that can be used for multiple tasks. There is only one thing i hate about a lot of camping equipment these days is that it all seems to do only one thing but does it very well. If you know what i mean. Meaning you have three times the amopunt of kit, half of which is likely never to be used unless in a survival situation.

Pack sensible but be prepared for everything that might get thrown at you.

Good luck

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
andyn said:
All the best Jon, I hope you find what you are looking for so to speak :)

All i'd advise is to try and find as many things that can be used for multiple tasks. There is only one thing i hate about a lot of camping equipment these days is that it all seems to do only one thing but does it very well. If you know what i mean. Meaning you have three times the amopunt of kit, half of which is likely never to be used unless in a survival situation.

Pack sensible but be prepared for everything that might get thrown at you.

Good luck

Thanks Andy, good advise............I need to start packing and unpacking to find the best way to go....................David Patterson who invented the route slept in bin liners when he did it, and still was carrying about 25 (I think) kg. Mind you he took a lot of photographic kit with him..................Jon

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Hi Jon, that sounds like fun.
Well i have no experience in these matters but i would start by finding out what weight you would expect to carry in order to complete your miles for any given day. Then, start with emergency items ( things that will save your life ).
First aid kit
Some sort of alert beacon to rescue services if it's realy rough.
emergency shelter, lighting/signal and food etc. i donon't suppose these items will weigh much but it all adds up.
Work out how much your sleeping system will weigh.
A stove will be mandatory
Knife
clothes with a change and sealed dry clothes.
washkit with mirror, iodine, and footpowder
Water purification kit
Water bottle or 2
Top rate waterproofs, preferrably light.
paracord
mobile
maps and compass
torch with spare batteries ( headtorch would be ideal for ease of use and battery life.
Maybe even a small SW band radio for some company.( suprising the difference it could make to moral )
Light weight binoculars could save a mile walk but not essential
Food- cans will add too much weight

sorry, iv'e just realised that you know all this and i am only guessing. It's late, i better go to bed. :eek:

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Jon, it sounds like a very worthy journey and I hope you find peace within yourself and learn the many lessons that are put in front of you.

If you are wanting to limit the gear that you take, I can only suggest that prior to your trip, you should take all of your gear into the woods and give it all a good shake down by setting up a comfortable camp that you can live with and then add gear or remove gear, depending on what you know your needs will be while on your journey.

Think of the basics that you will need in order to regulate your core body temperature to avoid hypothermia/hyperthermia as your primary needs and the rest as comfort items. This helped me to drop my gear to what I consider a minimum, while still retaining some comfort for my old bones and being able to help anyone that I may come across while out and about.

Most of all, enjoy the gifts that are there for you and make the most of your time with yourself. It isn't often that we get to meet ourselves on such a personal basis.

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
There are some excellent ideas for long backpacking trips coming over from America especially Ray Jardine. Using high tech gear gives a base weight for extended trips being round the 10 pound weight plus food, water (shouldn't be too bad a problem on your trip) and fuel.
But don't ever go into a long trip with gear that you havn't already tested in the field.

My 2p worth!

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Sounds like a brilliant trip; I fancy a long solo trip myself, but work & family concerns have to come first at the moment.

All the advice here is good. My tuppence worth:

If you've got pre-planned stops, why not post supplies - food, clean clothing, consumables like wash kit etc. etc. - on ahead and replenish as you go. Ask the landlords to get you gas/meths etc. Include packing materials in the parcel and post the stuff you don't want anymore back home.

In Scotland, you can experience a years' weather in one day! Good waterproofs and a spare warm layer are essential.

Don't completely rely on picking up water on the way.

Consider a lightweight tent - bivvying out, even with a tarp could be pretty miserable after several days of continuous Scottish rain.

Good luck - let us know what it was like - and what kit you still had with you when you got to the end!

Ted W

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
That sounds like a very interesting and exciting trip.

Your overnight kit should be exactly the same as the kit you carry for an extended trip; the only extra weight should be from food and water for the length of the trip or each leg. The advantage you have walking in that area is there should be no need to carry large quantities of water as there are plenty of rivers in the area, unlike the Southdown’s Way for instance.

The best advice I can give is get out and do plenty of walking carrying the weight of your kit to get used to it, see how far you can comfortably walk in a day carrying that weight, think of this as good training by improving you fitness and stamina. Spend a few nights out getting to know your kit.

Plan your trip around your own abilities.

Yohny

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2005
Thanet, Kent
Jon that sounds an amazing trek. I'm sure there's a lot of envious people out there! The Appalachian Trail has plenty of purpose built shelters along the way, plus most "thru hikers" post food parcels along the way to be collected at Post Offices...not happening on the route you're planning! Water shouldn't be too much of a problem. As already advised a good waterproof & warm clothing are a must. What time of year are you going? Hopefully it'll be after the midges have gone! Rain or snow or cold or wind much better options than midges!
It's going to be one amazing time for you..but remember to break in your boots!
Some blistex would be a must.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
THANK YOU you guys for the good sound advise and interest, I need to tell more about the trip. I am planning to go in april or may next year, depending on the snow melt. If the rivers get to high they become impassable. But I do want to get going before the midges wake up. I do have a light weight tent, but was intending on using a bivi bag to reduce the weight. The route, I have planned and highlighted on all the maps, plenty of water around. On two sections on the route you are on your own for 3 days at a time. I do like the idea of posting supplys to the places I will be stopping at, but I can't help feeling that it would take away some of the adventure, I don't know why, but I will certainly think about it.
The trip itself is 200 miles over harsh terrain,it is supposed to be Britains toughest walk, but does include a ferry boat ride. If you want to find out more the book is called The cape wrath trail by David Paterson (peak publishing). It is the most boring book about walking you could read, but it has all the information you need.
Thanks again...................Jon

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
There was an account published in the December, 1971, issue of Scots Magazine, which I'm sure many of you have lying around, by a man who walked from Cape Wraith, right next to the lighthouse, all the way to Glasgow. His name was A.G. Cousins.

The article was short and he did not delve much into his equipment but he says it was no more than 30 pounds. He also had food supplies mailed to various points along the way. He covered 369 miles in 26 days, which is more than 14 miles a day average. He apparently wore a kilt for the trip.

Inspiring but so far I have made no plans for anything similar in the near future.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE