Kit re-thinking starting with cooking

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
Right now, all of my gear is laid on my bed and I am trying to break it all down into it's best parts, the rest you may well see in the swaps forum at the end of the week.
To start with I am trying to work out my cooking set up.
I have the cheap but certainly functional mess tin set. Into which I can fit a fair few things if needs be.

However I am favouring my snow peak Ti pot/mug, not sure which model number but it's just shy of a litre when full.

I am favouring this because...
1) I spent a while trying to justify the expense at the time.
2) My sigg bottle fits comfortably inside. So it packs a lot better.
3) I love my Ti anyway.
4) Certainly much easier to arrange it to hang over the fire. Biggest con of the mess tins IMO.

However it's cons go back to the mess tins,
1) Using bamboo skewers set evenly spaced on top of the mess tins I can steam food on top of the small tin whilst the larger tin fits upside down in top to trap the majority of heat.
2) I can quite comfortably BBQ food on top of the small mess tin with hot coals inside the tin and again the other tin in top. Using cut down metal skewers for that one mind.
3) The mess tins together can be used as an oven by putting the food into the small tin, and the larger tin right over the top, just bury the whole thing in coals and it works perfectly.
4) You can't really do a stir fry or attempt a full breakfast with the pot option.

Again there are still negatives with the mess tins, mainly in that it's not as packable.

Question.
For those of you have have more experience in cooking with both, because I have barely used my mug option, Does the mug work a lot better with regards to cooking speeds and temperatures etc.

I am thinking about trying to get a multi fuel (Alcohol and tabs or wood) stove to fit inside the pot itself, and I suspect this is much more effecient with a circular pot than a mess tin set, even if the mess tins are more versatile.
On that note does anyone have experience with making these or links to places which have tried a few variations.

Any and every opinion and suggestion welcome, because I think I will sleep on the floor until I can clear the bed.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
A small home made alcohol stove works ok with a hexi unit, and fit into army mess tins easy enough

When you cook with a mug you are heating a small area on the base at any one time, lots of heat is wasted up the side of the pot, so they are not ideal for a fast brew on a stove (fine on an open fire), so a pot with a broader base, like the mess tins will heat quicker than a T mug as a rule. An Optimus Nova stove would fit in your T mug I would guess

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I suppose It depends what you're cooking.

There is no one right or wrong answer - if you can't afford to keep both options, you need to decide which options you require most of the time...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE