Kit Mods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
If I remember correctly it was 1 micron retention paper, it was had very low porosity so I assume probably one of the very finer grades, (sorry, I can't remember the actual grade). If you have access to a lab you should be able to get pure methanol quite easily.

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
It was filter paper that is used to separate particulates out of chemicals from a chemistry lab that I used to work in. As far as I know, because the suppliers also usually sell chemicals, you cannot buy them as the authorities tend to assume everyone that wants to buy things like this are up to some nefarious act of evil. I would think coffee filters are too porous unfortunately.

I should add, like others have mentioned below, there is no easy way to separate the methanol from ethanol and that is not what I was trying to do, if you light a full trangia burner and let it burn until there is maybe 10% "meths" left in the bottom, then put the fire out and let it cool, you will find that the meths becomes a syrup.

Whatever chemical makes it a syrup implies that it has a high boiling temperature because it did not evaporate like the methanol and ethanol (and therefore is a large molecule), and you can therefore use distillation to get rid of it, which I have done with limited success. When you screw the lid down with this stuff inside, it coats the threads and the methanol and ethanol evaporates slowly, leaving a hard coating that makes it almost impossible to get the lid off. It is stopping this sticking problem I am on about.

Adding water works very well to get rid of the black soot too!

bob_the_bomb

Tenderfoot
Oct 2, 2008
Cambodia
Hi

I have a Karrimor SF 80. I prefered the bergbuckle on my old Berghaus Cyclops Roc so I swapped them. The bergbuckle is easier to open one handed and to tighten (though these days I tend to have the waist belt closer to the max than before!).

Also I wanted to get a pair of side pouches as my old PLCE ones didnt have a pouch for a water bag. I was promised a green set but the git on ebay send DPM. I used printer's ink to get them black. A dusty black patch is a bit less walter mitty than a DPM pair on a civvy rucksack.

On that note I also added a big dayglow patch and made up a dayglo yellow rucksack cover to replace the standard green one.

Oh, some straps inside the hood to hold a big FAK or similar and also some extra zips on the back to hold a PLCE medic pouch that I am now using as a daysack...

I'll go and lie down now

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE