Kit markers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
I have used a few GTLS firefly kit markers in the past. they can be a great help locating a torch when you awake in the darkness and were a fantastic help on Army exercises were using a torch was not an option

but I thought a small LED may have a long life running of a battery and may be a good and brighter alternative. does any one know of such a product that would last 2 or 3 nights from one battery. the only thing I can find was here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Nite-...l-Kit-Marker-Torch-Camping-Tent-/191424919113

or maybe you have somw better ideas

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Photoluminescent (aka Glow in the Dark) paint
available in Wilco, £7 a can and contains enough to cover two square meters.
Spray it on bits of card, lanyards,zipper pulls, backpack or the flashlight body itself.
No batteries, Non radioactive

Unless you wear sunglasses at night the glow should be enough to serve as a visual cue to find the item you are looking for:)

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Pound shop 3v flat batteries, ebay 3v led, legs of led go each side of battery, duct tape to hold in place.
Lasts 3 weeks easy. Cheap as chips

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Why not the tritium markers? I've a blue one attached to a bag that I bought from Beachlover years ago, it still glows. You'll get 15 years+ from them. Well over in fact, the figures are for half life, half as bright after over a decade.

If you're going for paint, it doesn't glow bright all night, the stuff from Glow.Inc in powder form is effective, but the longest glow comes from the sand like stuff they sell. It can be mixed with epoxy glue and dotted where you need it. The finer the grade, the less time it glows.

Torches, well the Zebralights have a firefly mode and will run for months. The huge advantage being they're superb bright lights too.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I have used a few GTLS firefly kit markers in the past. they can be a great help locating a torch when you awake in the darkness and were a fantastic help on Army exercises were using a torch was not an option

but I thought a small LED may have a long life running of a battery and may be a good and brighter alternative. does any one know of such a product that would last 2 or 3 nights from one battery. the only thing I can find was here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Nite-...l-Kit-Marker-Torch-Camping-Tent-/191424919113

or maybe you have somw better ideas

What do you want them for? Most options other than the fireflys will be far too bright on ex.

Tonyuk

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Halfords or any pushbike shop will sell fluorescent arm/ankle bands. Dead cheap..cut them up with scissors to required lengths. Starlight is enough to make them trackable at close range in the dark

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
I have some Tritium kit markers and the are great for pinpointing a particular piece of kit. glow in the dark would be a backward step.
I used a phone charger that had a blue led that gave out just enough ambient light to be able to see most of my kit in my immediate area without been obtrusive and I fount it comforting also. The APALS looked very good as did the zebralights but both are very expensive. I may try Hammock Mans suggestion and see what I can make up from some low cost components

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
Well I have a petzl tactikka head torch that has a 5 lumen low mode that will run for 100 hours. but this is still a little bright for what I had in mind. but a small piece of paper and some tape make a good filter over the red half of the light and the result one free low level light :)

but I having done some research I am impressed by the zebralights ( I don't really need a new head torch but I am very tempted to get one :why:)

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Well I have a petzl tactikka head torch that has a 5 lumen low mode that will run for 100 hours. but this is still a little bright for what I had in mind. but a small piece of paper and some tape make a good filter over the red half of the light and the result one free low level light :)

but I having done some research I am impressed by the zebralights ( I don't really need a new head torch but I am very tempted to get one :why:)

What did you have in mind for it? Let us know and maybe we can come up with other suggestions?

Tonyuk

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
What did you have in mind for it? Let us know and maybe we can come up with other suggestions?

Tonyuk

its just the fact I have camped out in some places where there is literally no ambient light and it can be a little disorienting if you wake, open your eyes and you can see your hand in front of your face. a low light will enable to find your footwear and warm layer if you need to get up for any reason but be low enough not to disturb anyone close by (if in a bothy for example) or attract attention from further out (if wild camping)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE