Kit Epiphanies

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Do you ever find a piece of kit that just works so well at filling your needs for it that you wonder why anyone would get anything different (note the filling your needs, I totally understand that everyone here has different expectations or requirements).

I think the 2 main items which have done this are my Paramo Velez ultralight smock and velez trousers, they're just fantastic, I'll get some proper reviews written up in the near future but I've not even looked at alternatives since I've had them as i'm not sure how you would improve on them. Admittedly these are definitely walking kit not really bushcraft (with regards to fires etc) but the smock especially is in use every day and the trousers are normally close by in case of need.

The Inov-8 boots I'm reviewing are also quite close to this as well, couple of niggles but overall cracking.

I'm still looking for the ideal rucksack though, I've not found anything yet I look at and go "yup thats the one for me".

So what are your kit epiphanies?

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
Probably my LK70 Swedish army rucksack. After all the hi-tec packs with their padding, zippers, clips & fastex buckles this pack stuns with it's simplicity, build quality and use of materials (canvas, leather, brass). Furthermore it's screaming to be carried on my back and performs much better than a lot of it's hi-tec counterparts.

The lesson: distrust the push for new technology, it is usually a function of consumerism.

PS, oops, thats a Sabre on my back....

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Like you Lithril I am an avid fan of the Velez its just fantastic. I Have the Cascade trousers and both get used everyday throughtout the winter months when I walk the dogs. Just so comfortable and the venting options are excellent. I think you just have to get use to the fact you only really need a base layer on underneath these and nothing at all on the legs.

My other bits would be my Exped down mat.... comfortable, warm, allows me to use a lighter doss bag, packs small etc etc .

I also have a soft spot for my Wild country ultra voyager backpacking tent its a bit heavier than todays microlights but its gone through some manky foul weather in the 10 years I have had it and it still as good as new today.

Just got one of Lurches SF Sabre 60-100s and whilst I would not use it for prolonged backpacking trips due to its weight for weekend and bushy events it looks a fantastic bit of kit. Will have to see if it gets into my hall of fame.

Andy

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
If you like the Cascade I wouldn't go and look at the Velez Trousers unless you want to spend some cash. they're better again :) Just bought and Exped Down mat for my wife for christmas, hopefully going out this weekend so she can try it out.

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
Montane extreme jacket. Too warm for hill walking most of the time, but for taking the dogs out in wind/ rain/ snow/ mild/ pleasant/ vile/ drizzle it fits the bill perfectly about six months of the year.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Epiphanies :

1. Old-style Karrimor Alpiniste 45 rucsack. Never had one back in the days but bought one a couple of years ago and they are just so perfect (but new versions aren't) !
2. Berghaus windstopper trouers (don't make them anymore - why not !?) Perfect winter walking trousers.
3. Novacraft Prospector Canoe - you don't need any other
4. Gas Trangia - so easy
5. Optimus 111 stove - something special about them

Then there are the infatuations which wore off :-( :

1. Ventile in general (but still nice)
2. Paramo Velez Smock and Paramo in general (sorry OP)
3. Tipis (still nice but a bit limited)
4. Merino wool (you end up wet)

NS

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I had a think about this and it's quite hard to decide, especially as you often have the latest bit of kit you have bought at the forefront of your mind, so it's difficult to be subjective. I came up with the idea of looking at the cost of items compared with how often or for how long they are actually used - still not perfect but, the results (drum roll):

Leatherman Wave - probably most useful single item I own. It's always the item I reach for when there's a problem to be solved - there's always something on it that inspires me to fix something - weird, I know!

Firesteel - look at how many uses you get out of it against cost! Works even after it's been soaked, can light stoves/tinder/whatever. Small, no moving parts.

Buffalo Mountain Shirt - winter garment but ideally suited to Scottish climbing/walking conditions! Not waterproof but it doesn't matter - when it gets wet, it's still warm. Your body heat dries the pile next to your skin/thermal top very quickly, so it feels dry even when wet! I am the envy of my climbing colleagues: there's a place for softshell/hardshell combinations (it's what I use in summer) but in winter I'm always warm, always dry, always comfortable, and I don't have to keep swapping layers. Only issue is that it will melt if sparks get onto it; use with cotton/ventile layer if by the fire! If not out winter hiking or climbing, the classic Swanni Ranger is warm, highly water-resistant, fire-resistant, and immediately points you out as 'one of us'! :D In Summer, the BCUK Ventile is first grab from the coat cupboard.

There are other items which, while great, have not yet proved to be epiphanies or utter essentials. I guess much depends on your activities and situation.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE