Kit cleaning

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Evening guys,

Sorry if this has been covered before but a search didnt bring anything up so I thought I would ask the wisest of the wise directly.

Quick background, I hire a garage seperate to my house off te local housing association, I told these people about the leaking roof, met an engineer in October, he told me I needed a new section of roof.

Iv not heard a bean or had my roof fixed since.

I moved all my kit to the other side and it didnt get wet but with the moisture in the air its made my ruck sacks I store go mouldy, and some other bits and bobs.

Iv contacted citizens advice but they told me I can't claim against them for new gear as I should have moved my stuff out till it was fixed.

So that leaves me to try and clean my packs etc of all the mould.

Anyone got any great tips they can share on how I do it?

My Dutch oven has also gone rusty but only a bit so that needs sorting too.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers
Steve

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Does your pack have a care label advising on cleaning Steve? If its mildew you want it off soon as as it will rot the fabric. If its a nylon fabric hoof it in the wash pdq. If its cordura then it might be more complex as they dont like strong detergents from what ive read.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Prepare for the worst and hope for the best :(

I'd Tech wash the lot, or use soap flakes as second best by hand. Any mould stains will likely never go completely.

If any PU coated gear has stayed wet, the coating has likely disintegrated. If that has happened, i'd use washing powder to get rid of the stains, then Tech wash to get rid of the detergent residue and try to re-proof.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Iv washed the pack before in the bath using some biodegradable delicates wash (which I can't remember the name of lol)

It's my Lowe alpine 85 litre pack Paul so I don't think it will go in the wash tbh.

I'm gonna grab it 2moro and see how bad it is.

Do any of you no if wire wool will take rust of a dutchy?

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Iv washed the pack before in the bath using some biodegradable delicates wash (which I can't remember the name of lol)

It's my Lowe alpine 85 litre pack Paul so I don't think it will go in the wash tbh.

I'm gonna grab it 2moro and see how bad it is.

Do any of you no if wire wool will take rust of a dutchy?

Yes, wire wool will work as will a scrunge. Not as good as one of these metal pan scourers though.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
When fabric boat covers, sail covers, woodwork etc: get mould or rust stained, boat owners often use Oxalic acid solution to remove stubborn stains. Never used it myself and the instructions obviously need to be followed properly but it's freely available either to dilute yourself or in ready made up marine cleaning agents. If all else fails Oxalic Acid may be worth consideration..

you will find that you can scrub your packs in a large trug/bucket to remove the mould spores but you will struggle to get rid of the smell. Fresh air and sunshine help, although not much help at the moment. I store mould prone kit in drybags in my garage which helps but clothing and sleepkit goes in the loft.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Yes mate, the wider strips. They'll all work well though.

When fabric boat covers, sail covers, woodwork etc: get mould or rust stained, boat owners often use Oxalic acid solution to remove stubborn stains. Never used it myself and the instructions obviously need to be followed properly but it's freely available either to dilute yourself or in ready made up marine cleaning agents. If all else fails Oxalic Acid may be worth consideration..

Thats a good idea Wicca :)

I use it at work for removing stains from wood, its the active ingredient in "Ring Remover" and also the poisin in lots of fungi and Rhubarb leaves. Only ever used it on wood myself.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
They use it a lot in the boatyard here Teepee, mostly for taking rust streaks off fibreglass yacht hulls or where fixings have bled through the strakes of wooden boats and left rust stains. Never had to use it myself...yet :)

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Well I took the plunge, I'm currently down the launderette with my pack on a warm wash, didnt have any tech wash etc, and can't buy any locally so have put in some ecover delicates wash.

I guess it's all or nothing lol

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
I hear 50:50 vinegar and water helps to kill musty smells quite well, in fact I'm just trying it now, I have some of the black spotty mould on my tent inner so I put it up and sprayed it with the vinegar mix. I'm hoping it'll kill the spores and then I'll just throw it in the washing machine with tech wash to remove the vinegar smell, I guess if you can't get tech wash then soap flakes will do.

Top tip, don't go inside a tent that you just sprayed with vinegar solution, the fumes are choking :)

Last edited:

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Well I did it here is the results -

Before
na5utugy.jpg

After
a7y9azes.jpg

Job well done I think!!
I just hope the machine killed any pores etc!!
It certainly smells nice lol
Thanks for all the help people!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE