Kip matt or hammock? or tree canopy?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

urbansurvivor

Tenderfoot
Sep 11, 2013
East anglai
What do you all prefer? I use a kip matt in my tent, will be using it with a tarp soon hopefully, should I bother looking for a hammock, are they worth the extra bother. do they offer a better nights sleep? do they keep you warmer? do they take up as much space as a matt? seen pics but not seen them in the flesh so don't know the sizes, folded or set up. do they make one that will cope with my bulk, im about 18 stone. so presumably will need a double :D

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
What do you all prefer? I use a kip matt in my tent, will be using it with a tarp soon hopefully, should I bother looking for a hammock, are they worth the extra bother. do they offer a better nights sleep? do they keep you warmer? do they take up as much space as a matt? seen pics but not seen them in the flesh so don't know the sizes, folded or set up. do they make one that will cope with my bulk, im about 18 stone. so presumably will need a double :D

The basic answer is that it's a matter of personal choice - ie some will prefer one and some will prefer the other, and the only way you'll know is to try a hammock out for yourself.

For what it's worth my personal opinion is that no, they are not worth the extra bother, especially when you start going down the road of complex suspension systems, bulky under and overquilts etc. I can see that people get pleasure out of all that though.

I've heard it said by an authority I respect that hammocks are essentially for jungle environments, not our temperate one, and I tend to agree. Still they can be quite fun, especially to lounge around in on a nice day. My kids certainly think so!

For warmth a tent will generally win out, without resorting to quilts or other solutions. I like tarps, though never use one without a bivi bag.

Hope that helps

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I use tarp, bivibag, log-cot or hammock but rarely a tent as I like to wake up to a view.
I use a mat in all set ups including the hammock so the load is about the same as a tent set up.
I could never get on with an underquilt.
I am 16 stone and use a single hammock.
I do not get cold in a hammock with a kip mat.
I have used hammocks in the jungle as well as the UK and find them good in both.
If your UK site is step, muddy, full of brambles or anything less than level, smooth and dry then a hammock is an ideal set up no matter who says different!

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
I've hung in a hommock but never slept in one, not sure that I fancy it. Dossing out, even in the best sleeping bag, can be cold and miserable without a decent mat, where as it can still be comfortable/doable without a bag even when it's quite cold provided you can get insulated from the ground.

When I was a young boy scout we used collapsed cardboard boxes atop the ground sheet to sleep on when camping. When I got into climbing as a teenager and discovered the Karimat I was rather impressed. Never been without one since.

I don't know what to make of the new generation of inflatable and micro mats though, I hear mixed reports so I'm sticking with foam myself.

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
Since much of my outdoorlife is spent above the treeline, anything that needs to be hung from a tree is usless.
I prefer a reindeerskin on a bed of spurse twigs. But mostly I use a matt, either under open sky or in my tent.

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
most of my dwelling away from home is in scotland and my particular ground is waterlogged you need good long boots to keep your feet dry i cant see me staying dry on the ground under a tarp ,everything i wear i just hang up and i am cosy in my hammock, i know they are not for everyone but my set up is not too heavy i need to walk in with rifle and food and kit so i manage ok.
the other thing for me is i am in a really high tick midge zone i have never seen so many ticks than in this place and the moment you go on there you are covered. for me i like to get my kit off and leave hanging while i wear a thermal layer that is tick free zip myself into the hammock and i am midge free. for me i am always around trees or things to hang from so its not an issue but i suppose it depends on where you are going but you can always hange somehow if needed but you would need to try it to see if you like it,atb wayne

urbansurvivor

Tenderfoot
Sep 11, 2013
East anglai
These are some great views and good points. I like my matt, and its the foam sort and is very comfy in the tent, but like some of you I prefer to wake up to a nice view, that could be mountains, forest or just an open field, so I think il give the tarp a good go, then if I really do have the bugg il think more about the hammock, by that time I should have met up with others and can see what they look like strung up

Thanks for the replies

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE