king afreds cakes on ebay

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Some horrible person must have asked if she had permission to gather them
I didn't realise you needed permission to be honest.... I thought it would come under the 3 Fs ... Fungi, Foliage and Fruit which you can gather off any public land as long as they are not protected.

Ed

Reactions: Toddy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I believe almost any resource gathered for commercial purposes (i.e. selling on e-bay) on private land requires permission. I believe the New Forest takes a dim view of commercial mushroom collection for example. These are fungi being commercially sold

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think I'll get off my hobby horse now. I'd just hate to see the land get stripped. For all I know, she HAS got a fallen Ash tree.

Must be more trusting in life....

Red

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
No, you have a valid point. I'd hate to see woodland stripped for profit on Ebay.

The bit that amuses me is that someone sat in front of a PC might buy some crampballs to practice firelighting. They've missed the point that the best bit is getting outside and looking for them. :D

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I believe almost any resource gathered for commercial purposes (i.e. selling on e-bay) on private land requires permission. I believe the New Forest takes a dim view of commercial mushroom collection for example. These are fungi being commercially sold
Doh! ..... Of course you are right mate.... I dont know why I forgot that..... Cheers for the reminder :D

:)
Ed

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
Funnily enough a mate of mine manages a piece of woodland that is alive with cramp balls which are just sitting there doing nothing . Eventualy the wood may end up as firewood or just rot into the ground. I suggested he might exploit them as not everyone is as lucky to have them on tap.

If they are black and hollow I think there's little impact and they would just end up in someones aga anyway.

Can't really see anything wrong with it as long as the provenance is kosher.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Couldn't agree more - what I asked the vendor was whether they had all the permission (landowner etc.)

If you are the landowner and the wood is being cleared anyway, I see no problem at all (shame to clear all the dead wood from an eco system of course). If you were to clear them all (rather than leaving some to rot into the ground) you could well exterminate them from that land which would be a pity. If it was my land I'd harvest those where I was moving the wood in any cases but leave a lot in less accessible places to provide a habitat and spore for ...more cramp balls ;)

Red

Morrius

Oct 16, 2006
Bristol
I can just see a BBC series a millenia from now : "Robot Mears wild food, episode one: Foraging on ebay".

Episode 2 would be 'microchips' of course. Groan...

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
jason sears said:
Thanks ed me old mate :D

I'm going to do a Victor Meldrew......"I DON'T BLOODY BELIEVE IT!!!!"

Can you BELIEVE what some people will try and sell....

Just off to place an add for my second hand, slightly soiled mid life crisis....bids, anyone? :D

Phil

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE