kilts for bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Extreme Pilgrim

Forager
Aug 27, 2010
UK
If I got the chance, I think I would give the kilt option a go especially if I was camped in Scotland although you would need to be liberal with the DEET in certain...erm..places :27:

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
Will not be wearing it when the midgie comes out though ;-}
jon

But when having the s***s, as is usual for me 300 days a year, they sure beat having to get the trousers (hanging on suspenders) down in a hurry. Still, people regard me as odd enough when they spot me wearing an oversize beret or even a cithrali cap, so this a no-no. :)

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Is it any wonder the Scots WON so many battles. :)

Fixed that for you :) In battle the kilt would normally be unbuckled and dropped for freedom of movement. In a traditional Highland charge (ie coming down from height) imagine what the enemy thought when they saw all that flapping manhood!

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Just to say that I bought myself a kilt this summer, am not Scottish but my mothers family were. Got Eric Methven to make me a superb sporran, and am very happy with it. Like someone said- wear it with confidence- and pride !
It is very comfy and smart, and my wife likes it- whats not to be happy about ?

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
I wear a light coloured "saffron "linen kilt with my Bronze Age kit and have a brown cloth equivalent of a great Plaid. Kilt is very comfortable and so simple, just wrap it round and tuck it in. Recently I have stitched it up as gaping at the sides may be authentic but could be a no no for visitors.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
My question is: does anyone out there wear a kilt for bushcraft/outdoor activities? I was thinking it might be good for spring/summer walking and general outdoors stuff but I'm not sure I have the cojones to wear one, not being Scottish. I need some encouragement!

If you don't have the cojones, then I think it would be pretty much normal to wear. :)

Sep 27, 2011
Republic of Yorkshire
I used to wear one of my Fathers army kilts in the scouts on camps and such and it was fine to wear, the main problem I found was the itchiness of the wool when sitting - and no pockets! I still wear it on occasions but most of my out and about stuff has been associated with rock climbing or festivalling. I must admit the fending off drunks who are trying to look up your kilt puts me off for the latter.

My Grandfather wore one in the trenches on both the Western Front and Gallipolli and swore by them. Made the wading through mud easier, warm in winter and cool in summer (except round the waist of course - though I find it quite self-regulating) and you had an extra blanket at night. The only thing he really complained about was the pleats cutting the back of his legs when they froze. His (and my Father's) Regiment, The Queens Own Cameron Highlanders, were the last soldiers to fight in kilts in Europe, covering the retreat to Dunkirk.

Like my Grandfather I was born and bred in Barnsley so wear them if you want to they're a fine bit of kit!

A Kilt is basically a Pleated Wrap Around Skirt, Highland and Irish ones have pleats that can be 4" deep or so (to take into account the sett) and a lot of the construction and look reflects the logistics of that. Presumably the Irish plain kilts just follow the common pattern.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE