Kilner jars

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Does anyone know a good place or website for me to get some Kilner jars. I need about 20 or so to do some preserving this autumn. It dosn't have to the brand 'Kilner' necessarily but a good equivalent. Cheers for any suggestions. :)

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Hello - I can find you a list of stuff by googling (as I expect can you) so were you after
answers from people who'd used different types and could comment on them rather
than a mere list of where to access them? If so, I can't help :)

If the latter, try: http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=preserving+jars&meta=
The first hit offers these:
http://www.waresofknutsford.co.uk/products_level2.htm?cat1=preserving

I'm after recommendations for companies that provide good service , cheap postage , quality jars and yes any alternatives to 'Kilner' that are just as good. I can find lots of companies that sell jars but Im really after folks recommendations of good service, good prices and product.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If they don't *have* to be screw tops, i.e. if the wire hinge clip ones with the big rubber seals, will do, then Tesco have them for £2 each for the 1 litre size. These ones are fine for jam and pickles but not so for the pressure cook type preserves.
cheers,
Toddy

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
Actually you can buy them in cook shops, the larger ones anyway, I came across them in one recently while I was rummaging around after something.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ikea are the cheapest without doubt for the hinged type. If you are after long term storage then the "mason" type jars are far better with separate lids and seals since you can "pressure can" using them.

If its okay to ask, what types of preserving are you planning to do? I can perhaps offer some insights into the better jars and sources then. I find mason jars fairly expensive in the UK and tend to only use them when I want to be sure of creating a vacuum seal (e.g. for meat based preserving etc.)

Red

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Ikea are the cheapest without doubt for the hinged type. If you are after long term storage then the "mason" type jars are far better with separate lids and seals since you can "pressure can" using them.

If its okay to ask, what types of preserving are you planning to do? I can perhaps offer some insights into the better jars and sources then. I find mason jars fairly expensive in the UK and tend to only use them when I want to be sure of creating a vacuum seal (e.g. for meat based preserving etc.)

Red

Crikey it's a little more complicated than I thought. what with pressures and vacuums. and stuff:confused: I thought one type of jar with a rubber seal and steralised would do it all.
I want to do a mixture of things really thats why I need so many. I'm making a batch of chutney to give away as Christmas presents. I want to preserve some lemons and limes and make some Indian lime pickle. I also want to make some sloe gin, and when I go to Scotland I'm doing a major couple of days on fungus foraging (including my horses hoof) but I want to get some edible fungi to dry and store. I also fancy a go at making some rose hip syrup. So a bit of a mixture really. Any advice appreciated.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Not that complex really - its all bacterial elimination. All food preserving is about killing or removing bacteria and preventing it coming back or preventing it breeding. There are various methods of doing so from heat to cold, to vacuum packing, to raising acidity to drying to preserving in alcohol. Pickles and chutneys raise acidity to remove the chance of bacteria breeding so pressure ccanning isn't really needed. Sloe gin is just flavouring alcohol which is a preservative in its own right so again any vessel will do - it needs to be air tight to prevent the sloe gin evapourating and not taint the flavour but thats it. Dried goods are fine so long as they are kept cool and dry. Sounds like the "Le Parfait" type sprung jars with seals will do most of what you want. I would be a little more cautious with the rose hip syrup since a syrupy liquid will go mouldy quickly if not airtight. Either a firmly corked bottle with minimal headspace (dead air) or better yet a jam jar warmed in the oven, the syrup put in (when warm) and then firmly lidded will work. All pressure canning is is driving the air out of a jar and then sealing the lid on so that when it cools a vacuum (actualy just negative pressure with sterile air) is created. Its the best way to preserve stuff like jams, meast stews, sauces etc. that are a breeding ground for bacteria. Heat treated contents to kill existing bacteria sealed air tight in effect

Red

Just for Information
Kilner jars have a screw top lid and where in vented by one of Jeremy Clarksons Ancestors and havent been made for a very long time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilner_jar

the hinged ones are commonly mistaken for Kilner jars we call em French Kilners
"Le Parfait" make them and ive seen them sold in the The Range for resonable price
no idea if you can boil presurize them
http://www.therange.co.uk/scat/ourstores

Just to muddy the water a guy has bought the Trade name Kilner and is releasing a range of jars with the name on but they are hinged ones :lmao:

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I was looking for Kilner jars a while back. I already have three dozen or so but wanted more, the type with the two part lids for pressure canning. I haven't been able to find any anywhere like that - until I went to Fort William. There's an ironmongers shop on the main drag that sells an Italian equivalent to traditional Kilner jars. I bought a couple of dozen. I also checked the two part lids and they are the same size as kilner and seal perfectly, so I also bought five packs of lids. I can't remember the name of the shop, but if you're going to Scotland for fungus, and if you're going anywhere near Fort William, it might be worth a look in the ironmongers. It's half way down the main tourist street on the left hand side going from the main car park towards Nevis Sports. By the way, Nevis sports restaurant do a brilliant all day breakfast and it's cheap as chips.

Eric

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats the sort of thing Toby but the ones with a two part lid and seal are more traditional (sort of a flat lid as a screw ring that clamps the flat lid in place). They work well but you do need to know what you are doing - there are two methods of using them - pressure canning and water bath. The method depends on the acidity of the material to be canned. Its a big subject in itself and not one on which I would describe myself as expert. One of our US colleagues is probably better equipped than me to give step by step info (weaver springs to mind).

red

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
At least you can get the jars for a reasonable price! They are about $4 for a pint jar here :(

The difference between pressure canning and a water bath is that of temperature achieved. It depends on what you want to preserve. Fruits, jams and other high acid foods need only to be boiled in a water bath. Meat however needs to be pressure canned. Using a pressure cooker achieves a higher temperature than normal (sea level) boiling and this higher temperature is essential to kill of botulism spores present in raw meat. Normal boiling will not kill them. While it is OK to just biol meat for immediate consumption, it is not good enough for preserving as the meat will still go off the same as if you had not preserved it. Pressure cooking the sealed jars with a 5lb weight on the pressure cooker will ensure the temperature inside will be sufficient to kill of the spores. The length of time you pressure cook it for depends on the meat being canned and the number of cans in the cooker.

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE