Killer Hornets !!

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire
I saw one of these (or atleast one similar) whilst in china! scarely large beasties! it was like a flying mouse!

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
This just reaffirms my believe that hornets are the most vile, horrible of all the flyey stingy blighters, and ones that big are just even worse! (shudder)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
European hornets are lovely gentle creatures - nearly as passive as bumble bees (which also have a prolific sting capacity)

They like grapes too

Hornet by British Red, on Flickr

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire
I imagine the beasty asian ones to sound like chinooks when they fly! :)
the one I saw was on the other side of some nice thick glass luckily... just in case! :)

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
[video=youtube;ykZUeFEnoCE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykZUeFEnoCE[/video]

I saw one of these a few weeks back at a Hilux Club meet in Sibbertoft. Nearly papped myself when I saw it. We had been plagued by wasps all weekend and one of these turned up! So different to wasps. Wasps act like they have wee man syndrome compared to these things!!

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
According to the guy in the first video the male of that particular species doesn't have the stinger and only mimics a stinging action. Interesting fact if what he's saying is true

Its true. In honey bees, bumble bees and wasps the sting is an adapted ovipositor and hence only present in females

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
well i didn't know that :) very interesting fact, thanks for that BR

now............

how do you tell male from female, very quickly, at a glance, as it lands on your arm and starts waving it's bum around ?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
In honey bees the drones are much larger than workers with huge eyes and a squat less tapered body. I can photograph some and show the difference if its of interest?

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
These guys can wipe out a hole hive of European bees, in a couple of hours! The African bee however has a defence method that is really effective.Rather than attack one act a time,like the Europeans, they swarm literally, surround each hornet, they vibrate until they reach a temperature that basically overheats the hornets core. A few bee,s die. Yet the hive is saved !!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Some honey bees do use "thermo-balling", they cannot sting some species of hornets due to the tough exoskeleton. Interestingly though Asian hornets resist this being able to tolerate higher temperatures, so Cyprian bees have developed a similar defence that involves physically suffocating Asian hornets with their bodies.

http://www.livescience.com/1889-surprise-strategy-bees-smother-enemies.html

Along with other recent research that shows bees can, and do, bite, its fascinating to see the varied defence mechanisms a hive has at its disposal - including, shortly, killing all its own males :)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
These guys can wipe out a hole hive of European bees, in a couple of hours! The African bee however has a defence method that is really effective.Rather than attack one act a time,like the Europeans, they swarm literally, surround each hornet, they vibrate until they reach a temperature that basically overheats the hornets core. A few bee,s die. Yet the hive is saved !!

The Africanized bees (hybridized European/African honeybees) also swarm out en mass to attack and kill livestock, pets, and humans here. And as yet we've found no way to prevent their spread. Meanwhile, common European honeybees are suffering from "colony collapse disorder."

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
I got a callout a couple of years ago to spray a hornet nest, it looked a bit ragged and when I asked the woman at the house what the damage was, she told me that her husband was in hospital after trying to deal with the nest by shooting it up with his Crossman Ratchatcher, he'd been stung to bits and was on a drip and various pain medication.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE