kill it, cook it, eat it!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
D

Deleted member 4605

Watched the first series, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
I watched the episode on deer hunting today... thought it was a pretty good introduction to a subject that I don't know much about.

It went over the issues around whether hunting for sport is as ethically acceptable as hunting for food, didn't preach just raised the issue and asked some of good questions.

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
i like it, would actually like to take part. I admit most of my meat is from the supermarket, i do try to source " local countryside" meat when i can.

Hopefully this will make people respect the life that has been given up for them more ( no im not a veggie)

firestarter31

Jan 19, 2008
bromyard
What really got me thinking was how hard it seems to stalk deer with a high powered rifle and scope! How did our ancestors manage to get close enogh to use bow and arrow or did they rely on snares/ traps?

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
What really got me thinking was how hard it seems to stalk deer with a high powered rifle and scope! How did our ancestors manage to get close enogh to use bow and arrow or did they rely on snares/ traps?

not sure, but i imagine it wasa group activity, get people to drive them to the hunters

Interesting show.
Much of the usual veggie vs omni/carne debate repeated - but it was interesting watching people who've never really thought about it going on a hunt/stalk.

The girl who took the stag was an interesting one.
She was shocked and in tears after making the kill (the way the fella she was with just stood up, took the gun and trotted off can't have helped at all) but I found her comments really interesting.

She was somewhat unimpressed with the whole blood-on-the-cheeks thing. Said thanks to the stag and "paid it some respect".
Would actually quite like to hear what she has to say about it now that it's had a chance to sink in for her.

It's also made me even more determined to get out and hunting.
I'll be starting off with smaller stuff like pigeon, squirrel and rabbit (all for the pot) but would LOVE the opportunity to stalk - and take - a deer.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
The native american approach to buffalo was to herd them into a narrow area and then chase them all over a cliff... gravity does the rest of the work for you and you end up with tons (literally!) of meat for the tribe.

In Africa, individual hunters would chase an animal for hours... there was a BBC programme that showed some Bushmen hunters chasing kudu. Basically, because humans can sweat and deer can't, we just keep running after them for hour after hour until the deer collapses with heat exhaustion. Then you wander up and kill it without any bother. Very time consuming and knackering but effective if you have the resources.

You can see why managed agriculture has been the goal of most human societies in history... much more consistent source of meat for your family, and gives you time to do other stuff (like invent t'internet).

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
The native american approach to buffalo was to herd them into a narrow area and then chase them all over a cliff... gravity does the rest of the work for you and you end up with tons (literally!) of meat for the tribe.

In Africa, individual hunters would chase an animal for hours... there was a BBC programme that showed some Bushmen hunters chasing kudu. Basically, because humans can sweat and deer can't, we just keep running after them for hour after hour until the deer collapses with heat exhaustion. Then you wander up and kill it without any bother. Very time consuming and knackering but effective if you have the resources.

You can see why managed agriculture has been the goal of most human societies in history... much more consistent source of meat for your family, and gives you time to do other stuff (like invent t'internet).

One of the girls who took part in the show is a friend of mine, she thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience and has taken up shooting as a hobby. I will be accompanying her next time she goes out! I'll suggest she joins the forum as I'm sure people would like to hear about the show.

The programme about the San Bushmen hunters is what inspired us to set up part of the course we are running with them. We are going to spend a few days exploring the way that they traditionally hunted first hand, hopefully taking a kudu or similar to feed the group.

It is really an eye opener to see just how difficult it is to take down such a large animal without a rifle etc. What is really important too is how respectful of the animal they are, grateful for the food it supplies but almost sad to end its life.

If anyone hasn't seen the programme it was a Life of Mammals (David Attenborough) one - Volume 4.

Great stuff! :D

firestarter31

Jan 19, 2008
bromyard
The bushman actually use a poison (paste made from a beetle) on their arrows to take down large animals. the arrows that i have seen have no fletching and the arrow heads are detachable so when the arrowhead pieces the skin the shaft falls free and can be reused. They then chase the animal down till it drops.

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
The bushman actually use a poison (paste made from a beetle) on their arrows to take down large animals. the arrows that i have seen have no fletching and the arrow heads are detachable so when the arrowhead pieces the skin the shaft falls free and can be reused. They then chase the animal down till it drops.

That is true, apparently the bushmen have an immunity to the poison but some westerners have had problems eating meat from an animal killed in this manner :eek:

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

You need to remember that more often than not, they would be stalking through woodland or scrub as opposed to moorland, open fields or heathery glens etc I've not seen the episode about deer by the way but the others about cattle sheep/lambs poultry etc certainly make you pause, not for long mind you;)

I would prefer to source my meat as locally as possible and if some venison or a hare or two come my way, I'm happy, indeed I prefer, to eat it in preference to supermarket meat.Unfortunately, I find that local butchers are now out of our price range and it also requires a specific trip to the butchers, where there is no parking!
I have not shot anything for years now but only because I have not had the opportunity:)

So yes interesting series of shows,a bit Idealistic I suspect, as they are careful to state that all the people doing the slaughtering and butchery follow best practice.
I doubt the same can be said for mass produced everyday meat.:(

cheers
R.B.

badger...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00gmxq9
That's the Deer one.

I think there's a bit much unnecessary drama put into it (not so much the deer episode, but the duck one for sure), and some rather bad stereotypes (I've gotta say the veggies don't come across too well in it - a bit emotive and irrational - definately not my experience of veggies - including me when I was one -haha)
The deer one seemed a lot more sensible than the duck one that followed it (also available on iPlayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00gn0pj ) which had all sorts of wretching and silly comments.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE