Kids!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I showed my 8 year old grandson Microsoft Flight Simulator and, of course, he wanted to have ago. At first all his actions were digital - joystick full right, full back, full forward, throttle max or min etc. He crashed within ten seconds of taking off for half an hour. Then started to fly. He tried landing and crashed every time. So I showed him how he needed to slow down, extend the flaps, and put the landing gear down before landing. I left him to it ...

Ten minutes later he shouted 'Taid, I've landed!' Ten minutes after that he was landing every time.

Now I can land, but I'm rarely straight on the runway, and it's usually one wheel down first, and, to be honest, a bit hit and miss. He was landing dead straight, perfectly in control, smoothly every time.

If we were in a plane and the pilot collapsed, I would hand him the controls rather than try myself :)

Kids eh! just assuming they can do it means they can!

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
There is a reason why professional violin players start teaching their children on the instrument very early.
I met 14 years old artists who didn't play worse than adult soloists.

I myself started fencing in the age of 6 and when I was 11 there were including the trainers less than ten people in our club who were better than me. We were the second strongest club in Germany after the fencing school Tauberbishofsheim, what's more or less the Olympic team and the most successful fencing club in the world.

When they invited me in the age of 12 to train with the Olympic elite I left the club and started to learn a few other things.

I already had accepted that there was no chance any more to become captain on a pirate ship.

;)

Last edited:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
All sounds fancy, simulator and fencing. My nearly 9 yo is simply elite at minecraft! Doesn't sound as good at landing a plane or beating adults at fencing at 11 or 12. However if you tried to do what he does without effort you'll see there's skill there too.

BTW he's currently annoyed with YouTube. He can watch it but you have to be 13+ to have a channel. Kids YouTube is too babyish. He wants his own minecraft channel so he can post videos and later make money on the merch! I know a late 20s lad who only works 2 days a week because he tops up from a couple of YouTube channels. There's money to be made if you're good and can present well.

Reactions: Erbswurst

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I remember about 15 years ago when my brother showed #1 son a quite complicated computer procedure and a second one and a third one, after a tea he could repeat them perfectly. I got slightly envious.

Reactions: Erbswurst

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE