Kids sleeping bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scrumpy

Forager
Mar 18, 2008
Silverstone
www.predatorsport.co.uk
I need to buy a sleeping bag for my 5 year old mainly for use in a hammock but quite likely some floor use later in the year. It wont be used in very cold conditions but needs to be able to cope with the unexpected English weather.
I don't really know about what brands are any good but I have been looking at Eurohike 200 as they are cheap and look alright, are they any good or can I get better for the same sort of price, I don't mind second hand as it will stink of smoke 10 mins after using it anyway!

Thanks

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I'd be tempted to use an adult bag (maybe you even have an old one), and use a belt around it to restrict the length. You could fold any excess underneath for extra warmth, or maybe (not sure about this, just thought of it) you could unzip from the bottom zip up to the belt and roll the excess sleeping bag back over itself.

The advantages as I see them of using an adult bag are that you can use a known quantity, buying a brand you know and trust and also as your nipper grows the bag can grow with them. I have looked at kiddie sleeping bags in the past, and they all looked a bit pants really.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Scanker has the answer here!
Some Snugpak bags actually come with clips and rings to shorten a bag for just this usage.

Osprey

Forager
Nov 21, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I would agree with Scanker's advice, my children were bought adult bags when they were 6 or 7, and we tied the ends up. Now they are 16 and 14 and are still using the same bags.
We got them Vango Nitestar 250 bags which are a well made budget bag priced around £20 - £25. They are moderately bulky, but do compress down so you can get them in a 60l rucksak with plenty of room for other kit. My kids have used them in all seasons for camping in the North of Scotland, A fleece liner or camp blanket is advisable for sub zero temps. All in all they are good robust bags which don't cost the earth and are up to the rigors of scout camps where gear tends to get somewhat abused ! Both bags have been washed many times and are good for a few more years still.:)

Scrumpy

Forager
Mar 18, 2008
Silverstone
www.predatorsport.co.uk
Cheers for the info, I guess an adult bag is the way forward plus I can borrow it!
There does seem to be an obsession with Snugpak on this forum, are they really that good?
If I go for a Snugpak what would be a good model? there is such a range to choose from I'm a bit lost.
The Vango Nitestar 250 as suggested does get a good write up and for less than 20 quid on ebay, sounds pretty good.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
My boy has used the same vango 300 bag since he was 1. He has never complained of the cold, he is now 8 years old the bag still fits, but he will be out of it by the time he is ten. It has been washed multiple times, and it has survived potty training. The one problem with an adult bag and belt is that it can leave the head area too gappy, unless you get a narrow bag. I have enough problems pulling the baffle strings on my bag that could fit a 50inch chest bloke. It can make getting comfy very awkward in a hammock.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE