Kids Knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Here is a shot of Mora Scout next to a Mora 780 for scale ( I know the image is not continuous but I chopped another knife from teh middle)

Knifesizecompared.jpg

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
My old moras scout was a similar size blade to my clipper

I have no idea of the new.

my 137 has a smaller blade than the scout

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
I have a Brusletto Balder, which I must say I use more than the knife I fashioned the handle of and am immensely proud of. The Balder is smaller and fits neatly into a compartment of a leg-pocket, which is both secure and discrete.

My daughter uses the Balder when she's out with me and although she's 18 now, has been using it for a good few years. She's asked if she can have it but I'd prefer to buy her a new one as the existing one has been well used. Either way, she wants a Brusletto Balder as that is the knife she's used to handling.

I have no complaints about this knife as it has had a worthwhile working existence and is (hopefully) good for years to come.

To use a typically Scottish outlook (possibly born of Calvinism)...
"Let the bairn play wi the knife. She'll learn!"

Cheers.

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
I think the Balder is a great little knife, but the handle is way too short for all but the smallest child to use effectively - e.g. to carve and whittle using full-power cuts I think you need a handle you can hold, including getting your little finger on. The Balder might be a good 3-finger knife for an adult for food prep, gutting rabbits and fine carving, but as a scaled-down "proper" knife for children I think it is lacking.

My reason for this view is that I had one until recently and, with the blade appropriately taped up, tried it for size in my 6 year old son's fist. Not because I wanted him to be able to use it right now, but I wondered if it would make a decent first fixed blade in a couple of years time. The handle was already completely covered by his hand, so already no good, in my opinion.

There must be better choices out there. Buy a stick-tang blade and fit your own handle, perhaps? The Balder's blade is good, but the handle lets it down.

Just my opinion, of course

Rat

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
http://www.whitbyandco.co.uk/rangeview.cfm?parentitemid=211&rangeid=1010&keywords= this is the knife my sister uses. its too small for me but holds a very impressive edge with a little care.

I agree with rat I think for a first knife you need to be able to get your whole hand on, and should be large enough so that they can (when ready) experiment with grips.

This might be worth a look if it hasn't been seen already!

http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Helle-Knives/Helle-Speider/p-92-150-3740/

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
Hi Gaoler,

What sort of budget did you have in mind for each knife. £30-40 per knife per child seems rather on the high side to me personally? Not aimed at you btw but some of the suggestions are for knives in this price range. Just thought it sensible to find out.

Cheers

Sack

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Hi Gaoler,

What sort of budget did you have in mind for each knife. £30-40 per knife per child seems rather on the high side to me personally? Not aimed at you btw but some of the suggestions are for knives in this price range. Just thought it sensible to find out.

Cheers

Sack

yes I only realized this after I posted, forgot there were three of them!!!! Maybe they could share..........i'll get me coat

Gaoler

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2009
Notts
Thanks all for the replies.

Hi Gaoler,

Cheers

Sack

I was thinking up to £20ish. I know they will grow and their skills will improve so I am reluctant to spend to much at a young age. But I was thinking Neck knife so that they would still use it when they are older.

Brusletto Balder is a nice knife but I am thinking of a guard on the blade side in case of slippage

jontok

Tenderfoot
Jul 2, 2009
Norway
The scoutknife is good to. And then there is always the mora 511, which is a good size for kids.

Jontok

Juraj

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2010
EU
How about something from Brisa? They can put them together by themselves and personalise them. Just an idea.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE