Kids and Nature

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
My son is 2 and a half and I'm already spending time with him out and about. He seems to love being in the 'forest' with his Dad. Okay, he's usually only out with me for an hour or so, but it's a start.

I used to go missing for hours when I was a kid. Hopefully, my boy will want to do the same. I'll certainly encourage it.

stuartmac5

Oct 14, 2006
southampton, uk
I have a daugter of 3, we often go to some local woods and I make little stick men from a suitably shaped twig and put on an acorn head with a little face carved in.
She loves this and has started gathering birch bark on her own, and asks me to "whoosh" , which is lighting it from a fire steel.

I truly believe that you need to start kids off early and show them the real ways , not just the xbox, digital tv stuff. There is definitely going to be a need for this expertise during her generation.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
At the Ray Mears lecture last week I asked him what he found to be the best way to get kids involved. Basically he said that you don't need to 'they know instinctively to look deep within the camp fire'. Very profound and very true.

P

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I find threads like this one incredibly reassuring that things are all right in the world :)
HWMBLT used to drop me and the boys off at Strathclyde Park on his way to work, and pick us up at home time (he was a teacher), weather permitting, a couple of days a week.
When asked what we did about lunch he replied, "Half a mile in Strathclyde Park and Mary and the boys have *had* lunch." :cool:
His colleagues looked at him as though he were mad :rolleyes:

It's a big world out there, and very little in our land will actually harm you. If you don't feel that confident then buy a good book and learn with your children, even if it's just one new thing every time you're out, it'll fair add up :D

Mine got like fledglings for a bit, if my hand appeared at their faces they opened their mouths.....ever seen a toddler picking his own and ending up with a sour bramble? Absolutely hilarious as that angelic little face kind of implodes, and it's a good lesson, it might be good for you but it might not taste the way you want, and yes, sweetheart you can spit it out 'cos not all brambles are the same. But the next one was gloriously sweet. :)
I wanted them to think, and be aware about what they were eating and not limited in their choices; to realise that the changing seasons changed what was available, to develop an understanding of where things grew, and why. Why the birds and animals we saw weren't always there and why they behaved the way they did. We made things too, everything from leaf baskets to carry fruits home, to arrangements for Hallowe'en, ornaments for the christmas tree, the spring branches, and cords to tie the grain stalks, and the bunches of herbs and roots I gathered all year around.
I'm not fond of fake scents, but I love those fresh outdoors smells of wind and sun and greenery.

Children grow up so quickly. From the other end of parenthood, can I advise making an effort to slow down a little and simply enjoy their youth and your own? I know life can be very pressure filled, but the simple pleasure of breathing deep and peaceful counts for an awful lot, it kind of re-balances everything.
I loved it, and I miss the children mine were then, but I love the adults they've become :approve:

Okay great soppiness overwith :eek: they're *your* kids, it's *our* world, teach them to live in it and enjoy doing it. It does us all good :D

atvb,
Toddy

bushtank

Nomad
Jan 9, 2007
king lynn
my two boys love going into the woods collecting fungi with me.i love to take them as they will always find the best mushrooms before i do. jack found me a huge hoof fungus which is now been made into alot of tinder :D

Osprey

Forager
Nov 21, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Slightly off topic I know, but my daughter (13) had home economics yesterday at school. They were making carrot cake muffins, so she bought some carrots from the farm shop next door, on her way to school.
The HE teacher was horrified to see that the carrots were muddy and asked why; my daughter replied that they grew in the ground of course. :lmao:
Of course everyone elses carrots came from Tesco and were clinicaly clean !
Surely part of an HE course should be learning about where food actually comes from.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Stovie some great weekends there by the looks of it. I'm assuming you have access to woodland where fires are allowed for for your troop!

And what a great troop, I'm impressed that they get stuck in with the skinning, great stuff!

P

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
pibbleb said:
Stovie some great weekends there by the looks of it. I'm assuming you have access to woodland where fires are allowed for for your troop!

And what a great troop, I'm impressed that they get stuck in with the skinning, great stuff!

P

I have access to a woodland where I can do whatever I want...within reason...but the place is always left spotless...apart from the tipi...and that is still standing, even after all those storms...a great design...

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Bhold said:
Take a look at this article:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/298708_nature06.html

:)
Lucky kids (mine will be, when I have them...)

Excellent article. My grandson Cameron (9) confided in me yesterday what he wants to be when he grows up. A gamekeeper. We had a look on the net to see what you had to do to be a gamekeeper. Now he's seen the myriad of skills needed, he's even more determined this is the right career for him. He aslo said it was down to me taking him up to Loch Achray, and out into the woods to do woodcraft and bushcraft that made him decide. I'm really proud of him. He shines when he's out and about in nature. He has ADHD and I'm guessing an outdoor job involving wildlife and consevation will be ADHD friendly.

Eric

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Good on him, Eric :D

Y'know I wonder sometimes about the ADHD diagnosis; I work a lot with these kids and outdoors they're absolutely enthralled, so much to see, stimulate them, keep them busy. It's as though they have really split focus and *need* lots of things going on, with all of their senses engaged. I really don't think sticking them in a classroom drugged into compliance is the answer.
Forest schools are a brilliant development. :cool:

atb,
Mary

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Toddy I hadn't heard of these schools until your post, just googled and wow!

I've just looked at the assistant and practitioner coarse and they look fantastic. They are a little rich for me at the moment, certainly worth considering!

Thanks for the heads up on that!

P

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE