Kicking and screaming!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

soup_monger

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 30, 2005
EDINBURGH AND PERTH
As a human, I sometimes feel reluctant to leave my comfort zone and head into the outdoors to face the weather and the cold, especially at this time of year.
Usually, by the time I have taken two or three steps along the trail I am enjoying myself and I have forgotten about all those home comforts and luxuries that can cosset and soften a person to the point where the great outdoors seems a foreboding place, even though I have been going there my whole life.
The most memorable and enjoyable trips have been those I did solo and the mistakes I made back then still make me laugh, making mistakes (lots of them!) is the way I learn things though, so it's all good.
I used to do a lot of hill walking with a friend who was a dedicated Munro bagger and, although I had little interest in keeping track of which hill I had been up in a log book, it was good to have someone that would drag me kicking and screaming into the outdoors every time he was on one of his hill bagging expeditions. (He has recently re invented himself as a rock climber so I stay well clear of that :eek: )
These days it's come full circle and I, yet again, have to motivate myself to get up and get out and enjoy my trips solo.
What motivates you to get out there?

What motivates me to get out there? A thurst for knowledge, a need to stay active,the mastery of skills (or not, depending on the skill, lol) a reason to buy even more kit, lol, and somewhere to actually use it apart from the garden (Although my garden is pretty big and I can walk the half mile to my local forest, which is a big help) I live way out in the Country, so access isn't a big problem for me, as most of the farmers are my neighbours, and we get on well, so I have no excuse for not getting out there.

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
ultimately its a mixture of the two .
you can use the outdoors as an escape and a place to keep up skills .
naturaly we seemed to need to be driven by an emotion even if its a need to bug out from others .
as you said three steps on the trail and yu are ok but the emotion drove yu to get there ,
last week had the same thing but after the fire was going things got better and once the roast beef was buried in the embers with the tats the smell was amazing - its moments like that which you can not count on but as you know they happen .
also even with good planning you know when you are out there it can sometimes get uncomfatable - just makes me appreciate the sofa and dvd more when i return .

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Often feel a need just to get outside. Last week was observing a class and for some reason this particular room always has the blinds now, I started feeling really agitated and ended up going for a walk. I really struggle when I have spend a long time indoors.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
This time of year is tree planting season so lots to go outside for at the moment. Unfortunately they are all frozen solid so will have to try and defrost 1500 tomorrow in the workshop ready for monday. Also great time to observe animal trails. Not good for the watertroughs as the ice is making them overflow and if forgotten is expensive!

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
Don't you just find that when you're on the trail you just.....relax.....?

I find it tremedously invigorating and de-stressing. Working with computers most days means that I itch to go for a walk, even at lunch time. This time of the year is the hardest, as usually the most time I have to spend outdoors is at the weekend, if I want to do so in daylight!

Food for the soul? Who knows, but it works for me! :D

soup_monger

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 30, 2005
EDINBURGH AND PERTH
I agree with PhilParry about the relaxation, could it be that the sudden change of priorities from work,family,money etc...to map reading,food,water,shelter etc... forces us to simplify things while outdoors and worry less about the problems to be faced back in the City.
It's great reading the different reasons people have for being drawn to the outdoors, especially as a lot of them are similar and I find myself agreeing with nearly every one of them.
I may be that like minds are gathering at BCUK and thats why it's so good here. :)

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
being out there amongst the wild life is the reason for me. Just catching a quick very of a blackcap or fox, it doesn't matter what creature, warms my aching heart. Seeing the lfireight reflected on the tree canopy drinking a well earned brew. A beautiful sunset makes a day out perfect for me.Listening to the rain and wind on a tarp knowing you warm and dry is great too.

Fire Ferret

Dec 25, 2005
Edinburgh
I have been fortunate enough to make it on the last 2 scottish camping meets and have learnt a lot.

Coming from a very different environment (Australia) I was thrilled when Match showed me my first oak tree. This weekend just past was the last meet up, i heard my first owls and tracked down my first otter den :D .

Pretty much everything is new and has a use from dying material and making cloths to fire starting and food. And when I come back to my flat in the middle of town, I take things back with me to keep my busy until the next meet up.

Ferret

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
My wife and me are at my mother in law's place for chinese new year, and they have no central heating in south china, so it's the same 5-10c inside and out. I'm motivated to go out because it's warmer walking outiside than it is sitting down inside. If they had heating I would've had less fun during the trip. A couple of days ago I just couldn't take it freezing by behind off pacing around the living room, so I went for a walk and met a blacksmith making nails. Nails, for god's sake! Some of you do blacksmithing, right? How long has it been since people in britain made nails as a full time job? I had a chat with him and took his photo, and then went and spent more on a pot of coffee than he earns in a day. I felt like such a spoilt brat answering his questions that basically told him that I'd seen far more of china than he ever will, and earn about 7 times more for doing less work. Je just offered me a cigarrette.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
soup_monger said:
As a human, I sometimes feel reluctant to leave my comfort zone and head into the outdoors to face the weather and the cold, especially at this time of year.
Usually, by the time I have taken two or three steps along the trail I am enjoying myself and I have forgotten about all those home comforts and luxuries that can cosset and soften a person to the point where the great outdoors seems a foreboding place, even though I have been going there my whole life.
The most memorable and enjoyable trips have been those I did solo and the mistakes I made back then still make me laugh, making mistakes (lots of them!) is the way I learn things though, so it's all good.
I used to do a lot of hill walking with a friend who was a dedicated Munro bagger and, although I had little interest in keeping track of which hill I had been up in a log book, it was good to have someone that would drag me kicking and screaming into the outdoors every time he was on one of his hill bagging expeditions. (He has recently re invented himself as a rock climber so I stay well clear of that :eek: )
These days it's come full circle and I, yet again, have to motivate myself to get up and get out and enjoy my trips solo.
What motivates you to get out there?

I know exactly what you mean. My grandson (now age 1 yr) came to live with us about four months ago - on a full time basis. It has been a time of forced entrapment, though for a good cause. My days off become a time of caring for his needs rather than a time to get out in the woods. I'm quietly going insane. There is nothing to do around here but eat. I've gained far too much weight - and am spending far too much time in front of this box.

Even when I do have free time - I've become too lethargic to get out. It is a vicious cycle.

I hope he enjoys being the youngest hiker and canoeman. I'm working on a tiki nagan -

http://www.anthropology.wisc.edu/Newsletter/Online/futureanthro.htm

to carry him down the trail - when the weather warms. I've already made two diminutive canoe paddles.

PG

soup_monger

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 30, 2005
EDINBURGH AND PERTH
Great pics Pierre! :D
I think my early experiences outdoors have a lot to do with being drawn back to them in adult life, so keep up the good work with your Grandson and he might turn out to be a little bushcrafter to help keep you outdoors and healthy.

I'm going to an area of Scotland this weekend that I have not explored before and I will be trying out my new tarp and hammock combination.
Thanks to the replies on this thread I feel very motivated to make the most of it.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
I know exactly how you feel soup dragon. :rolleyes:
I find this time of year especially hard, when it is dark when I get home from work.
My greatest motivation for getting out is my dog I suppose. He HAS to be walked come rain or shine, day or night. I simply isn't fair to neglect his basic needs. So he ensures I am out every day.
Any project that you can get stuck into outdoors helps to break the cycle. As has been said, once out on the trail you feel fine. Its the first steps that are always the hardest. I find a soon as i have started my energy level rises and come back to life ! And really enjoy being out.

The other morning we dragged ourselves out for a paddle on the river. It was freezing when we set out, but wrapped up well in hats and gloves, we were all overjoyed to be out alone on the river. No pleasure cruisers and the minimum of walkers . Well worth the effort IMO.

Cheers
Rich

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
At the moment, i'm motivated to get out there as I have just purchased a new camera. Usually though, I just get the urge to breathe deep and slow down and take in beautiful surroundings.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE