Kettles to hang over a fire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
If it's the kettle he uses with the 2-part pot-hook in the extras on the DVD then it is slightly different to the outwell one.

I have a folding camp trivet that has a picture of something similar on the side but can't find a website link that works...

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
isn't that missing the point of a kettle???:p

Maybe but the request was for...

One which can hold loads and be left to boil over the fire for various camp duties.

So if the request is for a container that can "Hold loads" "for various camp duties" a little kettle holding a couple of ltrs is a poor substitute for a 10 ltr bucket...:)

LS

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Very true, but why restrict yourself to a kettle if you want it for more than hot water for drinks...I have seen 10 gallon milk churns used before now...

Perhaps our good friend who posted this hasn't thought outside the box yet, as most people boil water in kettles rather than buckets..:beerchug:

LS

Well actually, if you take it in context...

:nana:

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I suppose drinkable hot water would be good as a bonus :rolleyes:

But I take your point about other containers - something with a lid and it can pour....

I had in mind those big, antique style kettles - like my granny used to have. They could have been copper or something like that........

From a functional point of view, when I was in the Scouts, we had an urn which sat in the fire throughout the day. It had a lid and generally sat there boiling / staying hot until you needed it for various uses (drinks, washing, etc.)

The clever bit was that the way you got water out, was to pour cold water in, the hot water outlet was near the top and hence you got out the same amount as you put in - meaning it was always full.

Not sure where you'd get one from, although with a little time & playing with a couple of old stainless steel catering type drums you could probably knock one up.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Not sure if this is still relevant but someone asked me if this is "my kettle" on another forum - it certainly looks identical to me so if you still want one Graham

http://www.cookware.co.uk/shop?code=1423

Excellent! - thanks a load Hugh :D I've just ordered 2 :lmao:

funnily enough we went in the cooksop in Bath last week and couldn't find one form about 30 to choose from! :confused:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE