Kephart Knife in Damascus

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I've been wanting to make a Kephart style knife for a while, and I've been sitting on this piece of Damascus steel for ages because my limited knifemaking skills meant I couldn't guarantee I wouldn't make a mess of it. Then I thought 'what the hell, I can always replace it' so I decided to hit two birds with one stone. I've now found out the Damascus steel has tripled in price since I bought it :)

Anyway, here's my attempt at a Kephart style knife. Far from perfect but it follows many of the design features of the original: blade 5" long and 1/8" thick, convex ground thinning at the spine, broader towards the point and with distal taper to the point.

The handle is oak, probably over 400 years old; it was taken from a rotten beam removed from a 370 year old barn - the core of the beam is still solid.

Kephart.jpg

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
That looks really good, sort of no nonsense knife that will do what you tell it to. I bet you’re chuffed with it.

Reactions: Toddy

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Nice piece of work, especially the sheath. there is something infinitely satisfying in making something for yourself.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE