Kenya- animals, plants and an adze. (PHOTO HEAVY!)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
I've just got back from a fortnight in Mombasa on holiday, and thought I'd tell you all about a few outdoorsy-related things. I'll do a separate post about an adze I bought there under edged tools.

Without leaving the hotel it was possible to see animals like yellow weaver birds, camouflaged gecko, vervet monkeys and this 18" lizard, which wasn't scared of me at all. It could be found napping by the pond every afternoon. The monkeys steal from people's rooms, will take food from your hand, and are very crafty. They sometimes make an appearance at dinner when they know no one is looking- bread disappears from side plates. :)

P8310023.jpg

P9090240.jpg

We went on safari to East Tsavo, which is ginormous and convenient to get to. Animals like giraffe, elephant, zebra and the various impala/gazelle/ dik dik are easily seen, and we saw 7+ lionesses. The voi safari lodge was idyllic. Fed by a spring, it overlooked the park like a kind of paradise. Having seen so many documantaries, I thought I knew all the local animals, but there were a lot of surprises; eagles, owls, massive porcupines, rock hyrax that let you get within a metre of them! In Tsavo West there were less animals and it was very dry. People who had been to Amboseli national park said that they could see animals dying because of the drought, and sometimes smell death in the air. The people there are faring little better. I'm glad I didn't go.

P9020057.jpg

P9030073.jpg

P9030077.jpg

I thought cats were the same everywhere, but cat's that are semi-wild and don't get fed are very different from the pampered animals I'm familiar with. They grab your hands with their claws if you're holding food. On one occasion I was feeding fish in the hotel pond, and a cat came over to watch. I threw the bread closer to it because it amuses when cats splash at the water. Within two seconds it had punched the water three times and pulled a one pound tilapia out. It ate it right beside me! I'm an accessory to fish-murder! People and cats alike are hungry in Africa. You can see tilapia on sale at the fish counter, but they're a native of the nile and greedy little fellas that probably grow fast and are easy to farm as a result.

P9060161.jpg

P9110327.jpg

P9110314.jpg

This is what it looks like: a primary school advertised for sale on a supermarket notice board. Also, a masai fella who watched England beat Croatia with me. :) They have lots of stories about the drought, but many are actually locals. They have problems, too.

P9090251.jpg

P9090273.jpg

We also went to a place called Haller Park, which is a former slag heap that the cement company has turned into a successful inner city park! It's wonderful, and has crocodiles, hippo, and other animals living naturally in spacious enclosures over 8km2. They put fish into the ponds to control mosquito larvae and as a supplement to the croc's diet. They put live gecko in with the snakes as food. Over here it would seem cruel to some, but people there put up with worse.

P9060177.jpg

P9060172.jpg

P9060175.jpg

P9060187.jpg

Towards the end, I heard that there had been an accident and someone from the hotel had drowned. You may have heard about it in the news. A young couple went deep sea fishing and didn't make it past the reef 400m from the beach. Whenever we travelled there we saw people carrying yellow 20L plastic drums that originally held cooking oil, but were being used to ferry water around. Lots of people seemed to have lost relatives. Having lived in China for two years, I thought I'd seen poverty, but this was different. Our safari driver said that in his home village people walk 10km to get water, and this under the equatorial sun. Visiting africa for the first time was an enriching experience, but perhaps the greatest benefit to me was to have it driven home just how easy and safe my life is. I've never appreciated drinkable tap water so much.

P9080226.jpg

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Hi.

I went to Mombasba for my honeymoon, the hotel you went to and the lodge in Tsavo look very like the ones we stayed at too!

I have to agree with you about the poverty thing, the journey on the Mutatu out to Tsavo was especially harrowing, with so many people living by the road hoping for scraps from travelers like us.

One thing that occurred to me, as a farmer, was how much illiteracy and its inherent lack of awareness seems to impact on the people there. We were there just before the rainy season and along the roads through the agricultural areas the subsistence farmers had planted their crops (cassava I think) at the same time there forefathers had. However due to global warming (or whatever) the rains now come two to three weeks later, meaning that the plants die from drought before they have had a chance to establish. This impacts again on next years crop and the farmers fail and some have to move to the shanty towns to survive. It would just take a few radios and some light educational programs to raise awareness and help these farmers to be successful again. Just planning there crop planting to start a month later could make a huge difference.

It puts 'survivalism' into context for me, unless you have to live it like those farmers you're just playing in the woods.

Its a harsh place but so beautiful too. I'd love to go back and stay for a few months. Perhaps to investigate if my observations about the farmers hold true under scrutiny, if they did I'd be on the blag for wind up radios for them.

Regards

Rob

Evening,

Im off to Mombasa for our honey moon, we are staying at the Bamburi Beach Hotel we are also going Tsavo East.... Phew, just ran and got our brochure and sighed a breath of relief!!

Were so exctied! Lovely photos!! Any tips for when we are there?

or anything that is a must see?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
There used to be a decent amount of Black mambas around Mombassa some years back. Caught four in one day including a juvenile around 2ft long. She was superb, and fast. Plenty of Lion fish in the reefs too. Great herping area.

female11.jpg

female10.jpg

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
So we can all agree that it's quite a place? :) That black mamba is beautiful, but I'm glad I didn't meet one.

Locum, "harsh but beautiful" pretty much sums it up. There's something very real about life there. People are doing stuff out of necessity that survivalists fantasise about, and it didn't look fun. It's amazing that they can survive with so little water, but that's all they're doing. Do you think it's risky for them to be so utterly dependent on maize? It sounds like the failure of the last rains is biting now, and I can't help but compare them with mono-cropping Ireland in the 1840s. That didn't end well.

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Evening,

Im off to Mombasa for our honey moon, we are staying at the Bamburi Beach Hotel we are also going Tsavo East.... Phew, just ran and got our brochure and sighed a breath of relief!!

Were so exctied! Lovely photos!! Any tips for when we are there?

or anything that is a must see?

that IS the hotel I honeymooned in. My only advice is don't give any money to the beach boys on the first day, then buy all your extras from them to spread the wealth. Visit Bombolulu when you are there and make sure you get the lobster for your lunch one day.

i have heard alot about the "Beach Boys", we have heard there is a croc farm nearby, that you can visit to see the crocs, and then sit down for a lunch of hearty croc?

Did you find anywhere that offered balloon rides/ and some horse back riding? We are going for just under three weeks, and were saving like mad for all those "little extras"

Oh im so happy its okay there, i have heard so many horror stories about kenya, and tried to do some reasearch, and read peoples reviews, which i must say are pretty good.

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
The beach boys are a pain, and make it impossible to truly relax on the beach, but they're public beaches and the people are dirt poor and need business, so you deal with it. If I wanted to relax I did it by the pool or on my balcony rather than getting irate. I drove past the croc farm on a route into town, but didn't go there. I didn't hear anything about balloon rides or horse riding, but didn't ask, either. The reef is only about 400m from the coast, and you can snorkel on the beach side of it without paying to enter the marine park, just by hiring a dugout canoe from the beach. There are puffer fish, trigger fish, octopus, lobster, and a few too many spiky things, but I loved it. The boat trips to see the dolphins would be a good honeymoon thing. I THINK you can swim with them.

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
The best way to handle the beach boys is ask one who you feel you may be able to trust to sort out all the deals for you. We found that we got a lot more peace by doing that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE