Kent pattern conversion

birdbrain57

Tenderfoot
Oct 16, 2010
sunderland
Ive had this axe lying about for ages and never used it.I was really bored today so had a go at turning it into a trade axe pattern.It took ages to cut with the angle grinder because i had to go very slow so it didnt heat up to much and ruin the temper.Now i just need to go and find a nice piece of ash for the handle
SN850813.jpg
SN850819.jpg
SN850823.jpg
sorry for the rubish pictures

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
How much does it weigh as I am after a light axe head for my scouts and if thats right I may try it out myself

Looking good BTW

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Every time I see a modded kent my heart sinks a little. To my knowledge, nobody makes kent pattern axes or hatchets any more.

However, there's plenty of cheap as chips hatchets and axes available from Argos/B&Q/Homebase/Screwfix which are perfect for modifying - there's even a thread about the Argox axe on these very forums.

I preferred it when it was a Kent pattern.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I'd have to agree with Adzes contrarian pov. I had a kentish pattern severquick hatchet which was great for carving. Ten out of ten for your workmanship though.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Adze is right; no one seems to make kents anymore.

However they are so common. (I got one the other day) that a few altered will not go amiss, surely?

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
...........Antiques roadshow 2112.........

"well Mr Tenderfoot,what you have here is a very rare kent pattern axehead worth around the £50,000 mark at auction .....in its original form,however.........." lol

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I would be interested to learn why the Kent pattern arose in the first place. What was the advantage in that style? I guess it did not come from nowhere and without some good reason.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Looks really nice, makes me think about the small forest axe style I got on my Gransfors.
I think you really added to the design by taking something off even though that sounds a bit contradictive ( am I saying this right?) ^^
Would love to add one to my arsenal, ps what is the weight on that puppy?

Yours sincerely Ruud

birdbrain57

Tenderfoot
Oct 16, 2010
sunderland
All finished now apart from polish and sharpen. fitted it with a ash handle but i am especially pleased with the mask because my 16 year old daughter made it.She has never made anything before but has watched me a few times and fancied a go so i sent her in the loft with a paper template and this is what she came back with cant believe how well it turned out. Well chuffed.
SN850834.jpg
SN850840.jpg
SN850841.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE