Kent pattern boot sale axe!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Howdy folks, long time no see! Been distracted lately, but I got this at a boot sale today and had to show it off.

It's a Kent pattern, a rather wee one, altogether it weighs about 1lb 6oz, I think around 600g. The fella didn't know much about it, it belonged to his tradesman uncle-in-law who had recently died.

kenthatchet2.jpg

kenthatchet3.jpg

It's quite short - about 11 1/2" all tolled. The balance and backward angle of the handle should make it a good carving axe. Thin grind too.
kenthatchet4.jpg

kenthatchet6.jpg

The pitting is significant but I've seen much worse. The edge was dull but in otherwise good shape with good geometry, though angled slightly to the side (more on that later). As you can see there's a weld on both sides; I think that the eye/poll is low or medium carbon steel, and a high-carbon bit was welded on. They're not as neat as they could be, but this axe looks to have been going a long time and there are no fractures so it's not a concern. This would explain why the poll is mushroomed so much.
kenthatchet1.jpg

The handle wood is sound, but as you can see from here, it'll really need to be replaced anyway. It's too difficult to tell how it was wedged and given how damaged the wood on the end is, I worry that the damp may have gotten inside the eye and done a bit of rotting. The bit points to the left slightly, as does the edge, which could be unintentional but I would presume that it's to make right-handed hewing easier.

Now I'm off to clean it up - not bad for a quid :D

Pete

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
cant complain for a quid - but it looks like it needs a hell of a lot of work.

atb
andy

Shouldn't be too bad :D The belt sander did a fair job of bringing the edge back to a point where it should be easily hand-sharpened, and a wire brush + brown sauce has gotten most of the rust off - the handle reeks now though :yuck:

I'm quite looking forward to the rehandling though, I haven't done an axe in a while!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE