Kelly Kettle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
Another word of warning- never add water to the kettle while it's on the heat unless you know 100% that there's water already inside. Otherwise the lining will melt instantly and turn to aluminium blobs like mine :togo:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
81107.jpg

They make an excellent fire starter!

Now that I like :D . An egg-cellent idea oetzi.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
My first impression after seeing a picture of the Thermette was that the side handle posed a knuckle burn risk.

The very first time I lifted my Kelly I melted all the hair on my knuckles....have not done that again:)

Is the Thermette side handle large enough and stable enough once you lift the kettle to prevent the copper from touching your knuckles?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I've never had a problem with the handles, and if you could burn yourself on them you can be sure I would have by now, I've this special talent ;-{D) So long as you get a half decent grip on both handles its pretty much like using a 4 pint jug kettle. If you had really huge paws then you may have trouble but then again the handles are only wire so you could easily enough replace them with bigger ones. I had thought to wrap insulating tape around them but there proved to be no need.

I've singed myself with a Kelly a couple of times, ah that burning rubber smell as the hairs crinkle!. The Eco stove I have has no handle at all and comes with one of those pot lifters to grab it by the chimney. Now that is a pain.

Sometimes I do wish the filling hole/ spout was bigger but thats no real problem.

ATB

Tom

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Well that is good to know. A huge Thermette has always attracted me. I need to see about getting one.

Copper and large would be perfect for a community boilup. My large Kelly is still not quite big enough for my disaster kit.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Nice side-by-side large Kelly and Thermette in this video from Jack Mountain. Right around 6 minutes for each to boil.....but the Thermette is 2x the volume.

They feed small sticks continuously. A bit more rapidly then I usually do, but otherwise their technique is pretty similar except they light with the chimney in place.

Since I almost always use some other method (firesteel, firepiston, flint and steel) not a match, I light my firepan then place the chimney.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJuJf44jwkA

I am now even more convinced to add a Thermette to my kit.

The rest of these Jack Mountain clips may be interesting too.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
I really do use mine a lot.

I have the 1 pint for up to two people and the 2.5 if my family is with me, I have even been known to brew up in the garden when I am bored, my neighbours think I am a bit of a loony.:rolleyes:

I know its cheating, but I keep mine packed with some dry and featherd wood, cotton wool and a couple of hexiblocks just in case I am in a hurry.

1ptKKLR.jpg

1ptKK4.jpg

Mang

Settler
I know its cheating, but I keep mine packed with some dry and featherd wood, cotton wool and a couple of hexiblocks.

Is it cheating if you use it a lot? being prepared! I like the eggbox lighters and will make some in due course but equally I reckon you could make viable ones from papery birch bark, fine chippings, wax and pine sap which could be wrapped in Birch bark and 'glued' with more sap.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Romatic dinner for two tonight as the kids are away at various friends houses :)

She put out candles on the table, and up until now I didn't realise that it was bad form to scrap wax out of the candle sticks, stick them in a bag and say "Hmm I have got a job for that later".

Apparently there was still some life in them and she wanted to put them round the bath, which is something I have never understood. If she can have candles in the bathroom, why can't I use my kelly kettle in the kitchen? :confused:

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
You know we are not back in the 1600 do what ever it takes to fire them up even a good dose alcohol gee whay not cut one of them fire logs to get a fire make a good fire one cut off pice may last just right. O K that said wally word here i come get me one to try.

Torak

Forager
Oct 4, 2006
uk
I got mine from the U.S. which struck me a a little perverse since they're made in New Zealand. Now would be quite a good time to indulge in one, what with the dollar going through a steady decline. Alternatively, get a friend who's going to NZ to try and pick one up. I love mine; prefer it in almost every way to the ubiquitous Kelly.

Tiley,

Did you buy it direct from Thermette? I was going to order one online but couldn't see the padlock sign so was a bit unsure as to how secure it was, probably being overly cautious:rolleyes:

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Is it cheating if you use it a lot? being prepared! I like the eggbox lighters and will make some in due course but equally I reckon you could make viable ones from papery birch bark, fine chippings, wax and pine sap which could be wrapped in Birch bark and 'glued' with more sap.

I saw a similar thing somewhere on the forum,looked like brandy snaps !

Nick

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I really do use mine a lot.

I know its cheating, but I keep mine packed with some dry and featherd wood, cotton wool and a couple of hexiblocks just in case I am in a hurry.

That just seems like good planning to me. I almost always carry a couple of fatwood splits in mine.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have never understood the `candles round the bath` thingy either.

I try to avoid the appliance, that or be in and out as fast as possible.

lingering in the bath carries the risk of the water cooling down and chilling you.

(but I did give Ming his bath the other day)

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Looks like the same one I got in a tenner Trangia clone at Matalan. Even if you break open a std tea bag it tastes totally diferent. I use it on a hexy stove coz all the bits and flexi-cup fit in the kettle.

Nick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE