Kelly kettle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
S

stitch

im looking for the best and cheapest kelly kettle there is can any one help and send me a link :confused:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Noooooooooo

Stitch is not allwed Kelly Kettles....he spends all morning making fires :D

Evening Stitch mate ;)

They are horribly expensive! Make a hobo stove......much cheaper, you still get to make contained fires, you can womble the materials, and you get to tell Greywolf I said he has to help you make it......(he owes me that for the lie in :))

Red

(how you doing anyway Stitch?)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
This is true.....but mine will never recover from Stitch lighting fires in it (kidding Stitch :))

Anyway, I think making your own when you are Stitch's age is cooler...plus he gets to bug lumps out of Greywolf yelling "Red says....." :D

I reckon one of your "cutlery" hobo stoves would suit him down to the ground....plus a home made billy can

Hey stich, heres a bet...you get a prize if you make your own Billy and make Greywof a brew in it......ask Leon B to tell you how or look on here...its just a tin can and a coat hanger really......

Red

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
Can't help with where to get a Kelly from but a couple of tips for when you do...
try to feed as little fuel in as it needs broken into short lengths, that way whan you take the kettle off the base the ground doesn't get covered in burning embers.
Fill it up when you first get it to see if it leaks,if it does change it before you have lit a fire and blackened it up. Be extra careful that it doesn't get knocked about too much because it will spring a leak on the bottom seam. Lastly, don't do what I did, I half filled it and forgot about it for a few minutes too long. The fire was still burning so I poured fresh water into the spout not realsing that it had boiled dry- BIG mistake! The steam actually melted the inner sleeve leaving big blobs of alluminium and rendered it useless :( It had served me well for over 6 years and hundreds of cuppas so I wasn't too upset ;) though. Kelly Kettles every time :You_Rock_

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
My kelly kettle got oval because when it was packed it must have bumped into something. Now it doesn't fit good on the base anymore. Any ideas on how to make it round again?? I get the idea that the KK is very brittle for something that expensive... Hmm, maybe I should just fit the base into it upside down and then it must get it's shape a bit back... Must say I don't like the alumium very much, the accesorie kit is awful for how much it costs :s The kettle is really nice though to use, very relaxing and fun. Definately in a forest you have a brew in no time :).

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
gunnix said:
My kelly kettle got oval because when it was packed it must have bumped into something. Now it doesn't fit good on the base anymore. Any ideas on how to make it round again?? .

It's probably to adjust the base to fit the new shape of the kettle than the other way round. Plus if you do any damage it's not fatal. Just use a hammer to knock it into shape - it helps if you can find a block of wood or something which is the right shape for backing.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Just out of interest what is the difference between the “Kelly” and “Storm” kettle other than almost double the price for the latter?

Cheers

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
happybunny said:
OK, Kelly Kettles I know, but forgive my ignorance, what is a "hobo stove"? I sounds cheap (and therefore good :) )

Ben
hobo stove used by hobos to heat their food, made out of anything to hand, tin-cans mostly, or in my case I made one last year out of a Cutlery drainer from Ikea
showphoto.php
that it there in there burning in the background

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hmmm

I'll have to ask Hawthorn what you are allowed mate ...we'll work summat out though!

Red

Wayland

Hárbarðr
happybunny said:
OK, Kelly Kettles I know, but forgive my ignorance, what is a "hobo stove"? I sounds cheap (and therefore good :) )

Ben

Sorry only just spotted this. A hobo stove is a simple stove traditionally made from a tin can. Cheap cheerful and fairly disposable.

I prefer to use stainless steel as it lasts a lot longer. The ikea cuttlery drainer works well like this.

Small-Camp.jpg

Or my latest one is made from a food container from Morrisons and looks like this.

Wayland-Stove.jpg

Wayland-Stove-2.jpg
Wayland-Stove-1.jpg

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
anthonyyy said:
It's probably to adjust the base to fit the new shape of the kettle than the other way round. Plus if you do any damage it's not fatal. Just use a hammer to knock it into shape - it helps if you can find a block of wood or something which is the right shape for backing.

I've done some hammering and it got back to quite round shape. Now it's leaking, I tried to close it with my pliers which made it a bit more tight but it's still leaking. Anyone got advice how to seal it?

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
The best way is probably to get it tig welded, I dont know how thick it is but it should be possible. Most small welding firms should do it for a few Euros. Or you could try some of those metal repair pastes, I think they could take the heat involved. Try this as a last resort as it could affect the welding if it dosent work.
Hope you manage to sort it out, good luck

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE