Kelly Kettle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
cyclist said:
about every food that can be simmered: potatoes, rice, with some care even pasta, all sorts of dehydrated etc.

I don´t have the set that goes on the firepan and is use instead of the kettle.
I use the frypan on top of the kettle and boil water and fry in the pan at the same time. That saves a lot odf firewood since it´s double used. Its shown here:
www.thermette.com/thermette_disaster_prep.htm
and (with an other type of pan holder) here:
http://spiritburner.com/collectors_galleries/kevin_mccarty/collectors_k_mccarty_malley.htm

Those are no Kelly Kettles ... I´m sure you get the idea

yea I know the termette and I've seen those pictures before.
How long do you wait until your potatoes are ready? How long for the rice?
The method you use is just put a pot with food + cooking water from kk in isolation and wait till it's ready? It should be quite the same as putting food in isolating bottle and adding cooking water, then close the lid. But with this method the potatoes really don't get very good when I do it.. Any tricks ? :p

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
gunnix I don´t use tricks, potatoes have to be cut in (smaller) pieces. Makes sure the insulation of your pot cozy works well, avoid a tight fit of the pot in the cozy. Preheat the pot. The rest is training ..... ;)

Pan on top of a working KK: all you need is a pot holder (you could do it the Finnish way: put a long handle to your pan like on a small Muurrikka www.muurikka.com ).
Both ways (the Thermette style "ring" and the Malley´s "cross") it works fine. All you have to keep in mind is to make the exhaust ports big enough to allow the exhaust fumes to escape freely. I did not use a Thermette "ring" or a Malley´s "cross" - all I did was a tiny little bit of thinking :rolleyes: about the way it works :D and to fabricate my own system :) .
Aluminum doesn´t last very long - get stainless steel.
A piece of sheet, drill enough holes and connect it with sheet metal screws or pop rivetts (st/st also) gives you the ring, two flat pieces make a cross.
Of course there might be lots other ways, think about stainless steel wire (bicycle spokes), look at www.brasslite.com etc.pp.

bushwakka

Feb 10, 2005
wherever I lay my soul
RobertRogers said:
I stumbled upon the Kelly Kettle website the other day. Anybody try one of these? Looks like it might be some kind of double boiler?

They claim you can boil water quickly only using leaves, small twigs, even newspaper

Hi there,

I too have been looking at the kelly kettle as I had a similar contraption many years ago when I first started camping. I ckecked them out on Ebay and the price is consistently around the £35 - £45 mark depending on size. I came across and have ordered a similar product called 'The Eco-Trekker'. This works on exactly the same principal as the kelly kettle but comes complete with the grill and cook set that you have to pay extra for with the kelly kettle.

It hasn't yet arrived but I know from past experience that they are quite efficient. The one I had years ago was called something like 'The Hobo Stove' but was just like the kelly kettle. A small fire of twigs is lit inside and burns well because of the chimneying effect of the kettle. water boils in no time at all. The one that I had had an ingenious self pouring spout. It was a length of narrow bore copper tube that passed through the stopper cork into the water tank. The end was bent to form a spout. When the water reached boiling point the pressure of the steam forced the hot water out of the spout into a waiting mug! Excellent and very simple. I don't know why these aren't fitted as standard! If you don't want the water to pour out you simply don't put the stopper cork in place. The 'Hobo Stove' I had also came with a pan rest that fitted onto the top of the chimney so that a billy can/frying pan could be used.

The disadvantage of this type of cooking stove is that it is quite bulky and the inside gets sooty but it comes in a carry case and you don't need to carry fuel with you.

Kelly Kettles are also knowns as Volcano cookers/stoves

I'll update this thread when my Eco-Trekker arrives.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i've got a eco-trekker.
not quite as good quality as the kelly kettle, and the lack of a handle to pick it up with is a bit of a drawback.
they give you a pot grab to lift it with, but the flame from the top of the kettle tends to get diverted under the handle. you need to mod the kettle to have a handle, let the flames die down before you remove it, or wear gloves.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE