Kelly Kettle [1 pint]

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
HI

I have a 1 pint Kelly Kettle which I've used 4 or 5 times and I have a black tarry deposit inside the kettle. I always try and use dry fuel an dthis weekend attempted to burn it off getting agood blaze going without any luck.

Is this normal? if not any ideas how I can get rid of it

Roger

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Do you mean inside the kettle or inside the chimney?
Inside the chimney it is normal (which is why you have to sweep house chimneys more if you burn wood) - if it is inside the kettle I would say that you either have a leakage problem and some of the wood tars are getting in from the chimney or you have been using poluted water.

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
I agree with John, and if it's the chimney, birch is good to burn, but oh, it's tarry stuff.

cheers,
Toddy

Thanks Toddy.

Thats the answer its almost always fueled by silver birch. Bark to start it and then small sticks to keep it going.

I just thought with the heat and flames generated it would hav eburnt it off. Its inside the chimney - nothing wrong with water and nothing wrong with Kettle just curiose

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If you can collect the tar - if it builds up to that point - it makes great glue (which also makes it hard to collect!) unless it has gone too crystaline....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE