Keeping stuff clean

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I use bags, though not necessarily drybags, generally colour coded to some extent, and different sizes to suit.

Bilmo's bags wre one of my best buys. I have used dry bags and various stuff sacks for years, but Bilmo's small bags are ideal for the small items which can be colour coded and then put into a dry bag.

If I remember, I put a black rubbish bag in the top of my pack to use at the tent/tarp entrance. It more often gets used to haul out garbage and end of trip and I forget to relace it.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Clean kit? Whatever next!

The problem I encounter is that many activities like food prep and so on involve kneeling down, and keeping knees dry is a problem. I found a baby changing mat in a charity shop. it packs into its own little case but is perfect when you just want a small amount of ground protection without unfolding a huge groundsheet.

Cutting up a cheap shower curtain is another good way of getting a lot of waterproof fabric, if you can find one that isn't a garish colour.

Triplestitch

Jan 25, 2014
New Caledonia
I keep all my kit sorted in little bags with carabiners attached, then hang them either from my ridgeline or from the outside of my pack when in camp. Using a different material for each bag helps make it easier to find what you are looking for even in the dark (it's hard to tell colour by feel).

Russell96

Forager
Jul 19, 2005
Surrey
I use the dry bags like everyone else and I also use a bergan cover. It really helps to keep the bergan clean when you put it on the ground, really helps with the waterproofing and gives you quite a good size lump of waterproof material to sit on, put stuff in etc. Plus it hides your admin vortex if you are having one!
Russ

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
I always use the 3 layer system, zip lock bag for individual items, or groups of, then inside a dry bag or equivalent, then i have a massive dry bag to line my bergan, on top of the bergan is a cover to keep the rain off. this is of course full proof when it comes to keeping kit dry, river crossings etc nay probs, but it all goes inside the bivi bag with your clothes which you lay/rest on when crossing...:)

as for wet/dirty kit, just do the reverse, keeps every thing else clean and tidy.

as for under the tarp, if im staying, its normally set up with 1 side to the ground, wood is put right at the back to dry or keep dry with emergency tinder and kindling, my roll mat is laid down with my sleeping bag inside my bivi bag on top, all my admin is done here using the wood area to lay clothes or kit as needed.

works for me very well in the woods, but on the hills it may differ due to wind conditions, but then i nearly always do winter camping....

regards.

chris.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE