keeping mussle's

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gsfgaz

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
how do you keep mussle's , do you have to cook right away ,or can you cook them and freeze them... i cant eat anymore today

trixx

Jul 14, 2010
Scotland
Cook and freeze is the best way to do it, and don't keep them for too long in the freezer before eating them.

Freezing and then cooking makes it more difficult to pick out any potential bad mussels since the act of freezing them will kill them.

There's a debate about whether you need to discard unopened mussels after cooking. It seems to be a bit of an old wive's tale, although that advice is in most of the recipes/cooking instructions. I've known some people freeze live mussels and cook them afterwards, but there have been some spectacular cases of projectile diarrhoea as a result.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
+1 for what trixx said. My general rule of thumb is: if it's dead before you cook it, freeze it uncooked. If cooking is what kills it, freeze it cooked. Steak/chicken/sausages/fish et al all killed before, sometimes days or weeks before if it's done right, freeze them uncooked. Shellfish and crustacea or anything else alive, cook+freeze-thaw-reheat+eat - do not refreeze.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I genrally like to work them for at least an hour, intesively then rest for a few hour to let them cool, the shock them again with a quick fast high reps, low weight session, I find this keeps the toned and healthy, but I don't think i'd eat them how ever they were cooked.

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
I genrally like to work them for at least an hour, intesively then rest for a few hour to let them cool, the shock them again with a quick fast high reps, low weight session, I find this keeps the toned and healthy, but I don't think i'd eat them how ever they were cooked.

What do you think you're eating when you are chewing on a nice juicy steak? :togo:

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
Cook and freeze is the best way to do it, and don't keep them for too long in the freezer before eating them.

Freezing and then cooking makes it more difficult to pick out any potential bad mussels since the act of freezing them will kill them.

There's a debate about whether you need to discard unopened mussels after cooking. It seems to be a bit of an old wive's tale, although that advice is in most of the recipes/cooking instructions. I've known some people freeze live mussels and cook them afterwards, but there have been some spectacular cases of projectile diarrhoea as a result.

as a rule I test every shell prior to cooking; I tap open ones to see if they are alive (they should start to close). I throw away any cracked shells unless I can see a definite sign of life there.

I'm OK with unopened ones after cooking as long as the meat looks fresh

I would not trust freezing then cooking, but i would cook and then de shell and freeze the meat (althoug they are far better fresh)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE