Keeping "emergency" baby food in a sub-zero car

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Keeping "emergency" baby food in a sub-zero car
We're doing a lot of travelling over xmas (North Wales, Midlands and East Anglia especially) and the recent snowstorms have made me think I ought to keep a kit in the car in case we get stranded on the motorway for an extended period.

I want to put together a "cold weather" bag for the car, with blankets etc and some drinks & snacks.

I also want to keep this stuff in the car all the time, as the one time I forget to put it in will most likely be the time we get stuck.

But here's my issue... overnight the temperature in the car will regularly get below freezing, and it will then warm up during the day (or while the car is being driven).

Are there any foods that can withstand being repeatedly frozen / unfrozen and which are suitable for eating in the car (I wouldn't want to be using a stove or anything like that, so stuff we can simply open and eat).

In particular I need food that would be suitable for my two y/old daughter* - I had thought about jars of baby food, as they are long life, but you're not meant to freeze them (and I would think the tops might pop off with repeated freeze/unfreeze cycles).

Any ideas on long-life items that will cope with a regular freeze/thaw/re-freeze cycle, and which would still be OK to give a quick energy boost in a snowy traffic jam?

Items I considered:
- packets of dried fruit (raisins / sultanas etc)
- museli bars / flapjack
- crisps
- cookies / biscuits
- mars bars / chocolate

My main worry is bacteria breeding, rather than any detriment to flavour (as this is in extremis after all).

*so reindeer jerky probably wouldn't work!

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Rusks? strangely hardy food item and enjoyed by all the family ;)
powdered milk is a good one too, unopened it lasts ages and added to some water you have instant milk.
biscuits sounds like a good idea too, the foil wrapped type should last longer too.

another thing you can consider is a freezer bag, one of those insulated lunch carriers or perhaps even a freezerbox. these are very well insulated and should keep the frost off.

v-ness

Oct 9, 2010
on a hill in Scotland
We have a similar cache in our car for our 15month and 3.5 year old children. Sofar the winter hasnt seem to do too much damage to the nibbles. We have also stored juice cartons for them in the car and I havent noticed any problems. Although I have had them on a rotational cycle and they do get used up and replaced regularly.
The jars are only useful if your daughter is used to eating them. If not the taste and texture will make them a waste of money.
Anything really perishable we add on the day of the journey.

Good Luck with your list

Ness :)

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I keep a cold waether kit in the car, which includes some boil-in-the-bag meals. I would have thought that if you wrapped them in a padded coat or a sleeping bag then that should stop them freezing. I have a Canadian Airforce Artic Parka for when it get seriuosly cold & I keep my food items wrapped up in that, in a stuff sack stored in the boot. Seems to work OK so far. They were OK when I got the coat out last week whereas a plastic army water botlle in a bag in the boot had frozen.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Cereal and a few cartons of UHT milk?

Instant porridge? (assume you are going to have a stove.....silly question)

Instant mash and tinned spag?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Tinned baby food should be fine and if you wrap your package in a blanket I doubt it would freeze to be honest and if it did I would imagine the cans would be fine. Bottled water, SMA milk, rusks and the baby should be set (don't forget nappeis and wipes).

12 volt ketle
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12-Volt-Car-T...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item563d1465cd comes with cups, strainer, forks and spoons. Add some 'all in one' coffee sachets, cup a soups, cracker biscuits, lots of chocolate and digestives and your set.

Edit, block or two of cheese will last ages.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
i have some dried stuff like noodles and some instant porridge mix and a couple of tins of soup. I also have a big container of water, 4litres i think, and a billy can and a couple of hexi stoves and loads of hexi blocks matches and lighters. I was going to go down the meths stove/paraffin route but decided it was to much faff i just wanted something i could light and forget. I added a few wool blankets and a uco candle light, flouro vest, small spade, a pocket knife, couple of old jackets and a couple of spare wooly sweaters. basically enough stuff to stay overnight and during a day in a car stuck in cold weather. the stoves etc and food are all wrapped up in the blankets and clothes then all in one box in the boot

I was surprised, the water and stuff gets really cold but didnt freeze (the temp was -5c overnight) so i guess the temp in the car stays slightly above the outside temp (doesnt mean stuff wont freeze though if the temps get really extreme)

im thinking of having a similar kit in my car all year round

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
The golden rule about not refreezing thawed foods is not because freezing and thawing intrinsically encourages the growth of bacteria. It is to protect the public against the dangers of perishable frozen foods experiencing cumulative periods of being defrosted in which bacteria can grow. So, if the item is sealed and sterile anyway, it won't actually matter whether it's allowed to freeze and thaw and refreeze, as long as it stays sealed and is within it's best before date.

Hope that makes sense.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE