katadyn pocket filter

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Just after peoples opinions on the Katadyn pocket filter.

Ive had this unit and have used it for the last 3 years without any problem, i basically bought it because after some research id read that the red cross used it as their main means of water filtration in the field.

Now the question is, Can this unit always be used on its own or should all water be boiled even after using a katadyn pocket filter?

If the answer is that it should be boiled, then if you dont hear from me again for a while, i will be at the doctors getting checked out.

I will be interested to see what most peoples opinion is, because if you read the info on their website it leads you to think that filtration is all you need!

colin......

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
The Red Cross use the premac filters as individual units in disaster areas until bottled water can be brought in, they also use the larger commercial sized units at their bases when required. The Katadyn units seem to be pretty good though and have heard many swear by them.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Read the manual would be my advice, as I understand it it is a ceramic based filter down to two microns? I could be wrong, but regardless, I'm not sure whether virus can get through that or bacteria. If you're not sure then simply boil the water. Does it remove metals and chemicals from the water? You need to read up on this one, unless somebody comes along who actually uses one and did read the manual before throwing it away! :D

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
It's supposed to be an amazing filter, been around for quite awhile, comes with a lifetime warranty doesn't it?
It doesn't take out viruses, iodine, chlorine, chlorine dioxide or boiling will deactivate them though.
Are you taking water from places where viral contaminants could be an issue? ie with runoff from housing?

H

He' s left the building

Periodically clean and inspect the ceramic element, it can crack if it freezes when waterlogged which may compromise function.

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
I always wanted a Katadyn Pocket, but the price and the ''pocket '' size put me off, though, if I happen on an old unit at some point, I will get the best as I dislike plastic.

I have Pre-mac trekker, with three sets of spare filters, a MSR miniworks and now that Keosan bottle thing I posted about.

But aside from the Keosan, which of the two filters is the best, the pre mac, or the miniworks ?

Oh, I do use my Miniworks with my domestic water supply after heavy rain, as it is known around here, people get iffy tummies, due to some microbe that gets into the water supply from run off water from flooded land. The Miniworks despite it's filtering abilities, definately improves the taste of the chlorinated water when it has not been raining.

Oh, link to katadyn instructions ;

http://www.survivalequipment.net/instructions.html

H

He' s left the building

which of the two filters is the best, the pre mac, or the miniworks ?

The Premac Trekker is a purifier and the MSR Miniworks is a microfilter, they are different spec pieces of equipment.

The Miniworks will improve the taste of chlorinated water as it will remove chlorine.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I spent months researching everything I could find on the Katadyn Pocket Filter and based on the huge range of high quality endorsements, decided to buy one. Field & Trek, £150:00.
happy0054.gif

I then researched the Pre-Mac Travel Well Pocket Water Filter and bought several to use in my Packrafts and life vests PSK's. Pre-Mac have the very best customer service I've ever known, every single one of my many technical questions were fully answered within 20 minutes of my email, with attached manuals and other data. Blacks, £8:95 to £14:95.
happy0054.gif

I use Neutralizing tablets with the Pre-Mac's.

I also bought a Katadyn Mini Filter which has the same filtration grade as the Pocket Filter, Field & Trek, £40:00.
happy0054.gif

Katadyn Pocket Filter, replacement Ceramic Cartridge & 'O' Ring Kit, Field & Trek, £40:00.
happy0054.gif

I discovered that I could get the same filtration grade as my Katadyn's, without any pumping, by using the Platypus Cleanstream Gravity Microfilter, Field and Trek £20:00.
happy0054.gif

Whilst I appreciate quality gear and clean water, I also appreciate lightweight, ease of use and sale prices!
happy0054.gif

I hadn't actually intended to buy the Katadyn Mini, the replacement Pocket Filter cartridge or the Platypus Cleanstream, but walking into the shops and seeing them on sale at giveaway prices, I couldn't resist! That's why I use the smiling smilie!
happy0054.gif

Despite the capabilities of my filters (the filtration of the Pre-Mac I find particularly interesting!) and the availability of Micropur tablets, I boil all water, for drinking, cooking, cleaning and washing.

Whilst it may be argued that this is overkill, it works for me, and I'm the person whom decides, for self and passenger.

Field & Trek stores still have the replacement Ceramic Cartridges for the 'Pocket' at £40:00.

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
The Premac Trekker is a purifier and the MSR Miniworks is a microfilter, they are different spec pieces of equipment.

The Miniworks will improve the taste of chlorinated water as it will remove chlorine.

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference between a purifier and a micro filter. I only got the pre mac trekker, because of an obscure listing on fleabay and there got it really cheap, ( I forget the cost now, but I was the only bidder) it was listed under the carp fishing category, I was attracted by the size of the thing. I have since picked up another set of filter cartridges in a similar way, by searching for obscure listings.

Where would each type of filter be put to the best use ?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
One purifies, one filters. The answer is in the question! Purified means just that, no nasties or debris. Filtered means the degris has been taken out, the nasties remain.

H

He' s left the building

Where would each type of filter be put to the best use ?

The Premac kit is fairly 'idiot-proof' and a complete purifier but if I were you I would prefer to use the MSR filter, which will need some additional treatment after filtration to deal with any viruses that may have got through the system (ie filter the water first then boil it or use a tablet)

It is crucial to know the capability and limitations of your chosen system, so I guess my advice would be don't buy used kit, buy it new and boxed so that you have the full instructions.

My favoured system is a Katadyn microfilter followed by a chlorine tablet, I've used and field-tested many different systems in various unglamorous locations and the Katdyn gear always comes out on top.

Jun 22, 2009
SW
I'm looking for some help.
I don't want to carry 3 days worth of water.

From what I've read boiling deals with viruses and bacteria, making the water safe.
(Is this correct?)
So I was planning on collecting water from clean looking, running water, then boiling it.

Even if I filtered I'd still need to boil, or use purification tablets, so why not just boil everything?
(Given enough fuel)

Thanks everyone for your help

Going to defend the MSR MiniWorks here.

The Katadyn uses a .3 micron filter. The PWP etc use slightly less effective filters, but add iodine instead to kill the viruses. However, the premac units will still filter out some viruses in any case, some are pretty large.

MSR MiniWorks uses a .2 micron filter, effectively removing bacteria, protozoa (giardia), and some viruses including cryptosporidium.

In short, it's perfectly safe to drink water from a MiniWorks even without boiling or chemicals in many areas of the world. If you're really paranoid you can drop a few drops of iodine in there, or boil it.

It should be noted that boiling doesn't remove chemicals, which are a big problem in the developed world.

Check British Red's water thread.

H

He' s left the building

Even if I filtered I'd still need to boil, or use purification tablets, so why not just boil everything?

Because water treatment (purification) is a two-stage procedure:

1. Filter

2. Destroy pathogens (that may have got through the filter)

If you do not filter the water you are ingesting any suspended solids that you have failed to filter out.

Clear water contains suspended matter not visible to the human eye so always treat with caution and filter first (although I must admit I don't always practice what I preach!)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I have never suffered catching water from fast flowing water as it tumbles over rocks and then boiling, but then again that was back when there wasn't so much rubbish flowing into streams. I was looking at doing a group buy on Pre Mac Trekkers a while back but was unimpressed with the company's response, in a recession I thought the idea of possibly selling 20 plus units would have had them frothing at the mouth but apparently not. Didn't stop them putting me on their mailing list though!

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
I used to use a filter. The Miniworks. I got tired of scrubbing the filter when it gummed up. I then picked up a gravity filter, faster flow rate, no effort.
But I now only use the steripen.

I put a pantyhose sock over the mouth of my bottle to fill it up and filter out the chunks, then steripen the water and pour it into my "clean" drinking bottle.
UV kills everything in 90 seconds, including deactivating viruses. It doesn't take out metals or chemicals, but even filters with active carbon don't have an infinite ability to soak up this stuff.

If you look on the map as to what is upstream, you'll be fine. If in camp, I just boil and drink the chunks!

H

He' s left the building

Once filtered, I bring to the boil and keep it simmering about 3 to 5 mins then I add Katadyn's MF 1000F liquid form ...

Why do they recommend that?

If you filter the water and then boil, there is no need to add chemicals?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE