Karrimor vs Lowe Alpine

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

UCBerzerkeley

Dec 11, 2008
California
Hey all - so after extensive research on this site, I am unfortunately still not satisfied with my knowledge to make a decision. Living in the US, I want to be absolutely sure before I order a ruck from overseas. There seems to be tons of info on the karrimor 45/75s here, but less about lowe alpine and the 60-100

My stats -
22 years old
6'4'' / 194 cm
20-21" back / 52cm
190 lbs / 86kg / 13.5 stones

Goal: long weekend/expedition pack. I used to own an Osprey here in the states, roughly 60l. I have a 25l ruck for overnights.

I am not concerned so much with the weight OF the pack. I would gladly trade a kg for a better load bearing system, even for overnights. My sole priority is comfort (great straps + hip pads + adjustable) as opposed to features (top loading, straps, attachments, etc)

I feel I lack info on these packs:

Karrimor Sabre 60-100 (newer version)
Lowe Alpine Sting/Ray or Salient

There is lots of info on the Karrimor 75 around here, but feel free to chime in!

-UCB

(PS thanks go out to Nat & Ahjno for much help already)

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Being in the US you want to take advantage of the great products available in the US and made in the US. Check out Kifaru:

http://kifaru.net/militarypacks.htm

I initially thought they were on the expensive side, however, after using one i now find myself using nothing else. The comfort and load carrying as well as build quality is second to none. I now have two and another on order!:rolleyes:

UCBerzerkeley

Dec 11, 2008
California
Well, they are on the expensive side to say the least. My search started with Kifaru, figuring overseas was out of the question. Which rucks do you have? I like the MMR and ZXR, but man, $550 on a college budget before shipping hurts (550 of our lovely american dollars is roughly 380 pounds)

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I have used both Karrimor and Lowe alpine rucsacks over the years and both are very good makes. I find it a little amusing that you that are looking at these makes because, over here, we seem to be going through a phase of worshipping all kit from your side of the pond. I use a Granite Gear Vapour trail these days (imported from the USA when I bought it but available over here now.) It is by far the most comfortable pack I've carried.

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
Ive tried loads of different rucksacks over the years, and ive been amazed how different they feel, different back systems, back sizes, belts, padding, stability etc. Rucksacks that others rave about, i often dont get on with, and vice versa

You might save money buying online or abroad, but you lose money when you end up buying replacements cos this or that wasnt quite right. So my advice would be to try before you buy, just like you would new boots

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Well, they are on the expensive side to say the least. My search started with Kifaru, figuring overseas was out of the question. Which rucks do you have? I like the MMR and ZXR, but man, $550 on a college budget before shipping hurts (550 of our lovely american dollars is roughly 380 pounds)

I've got a Navigator and a Pointman at the moment and just ordered an X-Ray for EDC. I'm a student as well :D and the exchange rate is not favourable for us at the moment. Add the import duties we have extorted from us as well as 'additional handling fee's' and all you'll need to do is change your dollar sign for a pound sign!

Jungle-re has just ordered an MMR i believe. Yes, it may seem like an extravagance to fork out a high initial price, however, the build qulaity is so high and materials so well sourced that not only will you have a ruck that will last you a life time, so will your kid's and, most probably, their kids! I kid thee not! If you want an uncompromising view, contact Stuart (one of the mod's on here). He's used Kifaru's for a while now in the most demanding and uncompromising of conditions. As an independant, he'll tell you as it is.

303Brit

Tenderfoot
Jan 23, 2007
germany
Have a Karrimor Sabre 60-100,so far best pack i have owned.Its not light but tough.
Have had several Lowes but found Karrimor or Berghaus better.
On all my Lowes have had the stitching come undone on one place or the other,including a Lowe military version.

UCBerzerkeley

Dec 11, 2008
California
I've got a Navigator and a Pointman at the moment and just ordered an X-Ray for EDC. I'm a student as well :D and the exchange rate is not favourable for us at the moment. Add the import duties we have extorted from us as well as 'additional handling fee's' and all you'll need to do is change your dollar sign for a pound sign!

Jungle-re has just ordered an MMR i believe. Yes, it may seem like an extravagance to fork out a high initial price, however, the build qulaity is so high and materials so well sourced that not only will you have a ruck that will last you a life time, so will your kid's and, most probably, their kids! I kid thee not! If you want an uncompromising view, contact Stuart (one of the mod's on here). He's used Kifaru's for a while now in the most demanding and uncompromising of conditions. As an independant, he'll tell you as it is.

Thanks Jedadiah, those are great words. I realize Kifaru is the exclusive retailer for their own rucks, so is there any way for me to try one in person? I very well might face the same problem with an overseas pack, if I can't see one in person (even though you ship your measurements to them when you buy the ruck)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE