Karrimor trainers, great buy!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
Hi all, i thought i would share this with you. I purchased a pair of these trainers a few weeks back and out walking with my son, mum and two dogs at the weekend for about 90 minutes, we trekked through frozen fields, muddy fields and even water up to the laces (for about 20 yards). I actually got home with bone dry feet!!! Very impressed for a £35 pair of walking trainers.
I knew they were classed as water proof but usually that only means from wet grass but when I was wading through water because my son ran off on the icy bog but I was too heavy and broke the ice, then had to carry him though to dry land, I thought "that's it my feet are soaked" but they weren't.

http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-hot-rock-low-mens-walking-shoes-183714?colcode=18371418

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
You're lucky. I purchased a discount pair of Karrimor trainers last year (2013), relying on the name, but a different model to the one you show. They were a disaster. I'm beginning to learn that the takeover of firms means that reputation is not now enough to judge a product. I find myself relying increasingly on the recommendations and caveats on the site. So recommendations or warnings like this are very useful. Thank you.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
You can't rely on the name , as the Karrimor most of us grew up with is long gone and the trademark was bought over by Sports Direct. They do make some good stuff amidst the discount shop dross though, and you just have to pay attention and actually look at the items rather than shop online.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I had a pair of lined Karrimors that stopped water getting in for a whole month! I thought I'd finally got a good pair after the previous 2 pairs had failed.

The soles fell off shortly after. Must have had 20 pairs for work, they all died very quickly. I hope you have a good pair but I wouldn't go near them again.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have had mixed results with karrimor shoes and boots, my leather goretex lined walking boots are 5 years old now and still going strong, yet the ksb trainers lasted a couple of months.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
[QUOTEYou're lucky. I purchased a discount pair of Karrimor trainers last year (2013), relying on the name, but a different model to the one you show. They were a disaster.][/QUOTE]

I had a pair of lined Karrimors that stopped water getting in for a whole month! I thought I'd finally got a good pair after the previous 2 pairs had failed.

The soles fell off shortly after. Must have had 20 pairs for work, they all died very quickly. I hope you have a good pair but I wouldn't go near them again.

Mine lasted 3 weeks before I took them back. I understand that Sports Direct is trying to make Karrimor a 'quality' brand again, but if its in Sports Direct, then by and large, its not that great, and not great value.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
I never look at how much discount you are actually getting as they probably only had them at that price for a week and never sold a pair. Funnily enough there is a filter option on their site to put them in order of the amount of discount.
a

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Lucky indeed.

I bought a Karrimor Panther 65 back in 1992. It's seen some really serious use and abuse, yet its still intact and still gets used. It wasn't at all cheap back then, costing around £100 iirc

I wouldn't touch anything "Karrimor" these days, its all just cheap rubbish. No better than Gelert, Highlander, BCB, Peter Storm, Hi tec etc etc.

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
Ah Sports Direct. I like to browse in them for the odd nugget. They seem to get some good stock in and sell at good prices for a wee while then the quality magically turn to turd. Sometimes they've taken over the Company as with Karrimor, and sometimes not.

I still like to browse the shop for a good un though. It's like getting a bargain from a Snake oil man.

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
I bought a ton of stuff in the Karrimor liquidation sell off. It was really surprising when a few months later I saw they were back, as has been said some of the old stuff was top notch and the SF stuff is still up there. I haven't tried the Sports direct stuff and have stayed away because of all the negative reviews but looks like things may be looking up.

Aug 6, 2013
Aldershot
I'm an old Karrimor user, disappointed with the new gear. Had two pairs of trainers/boots. Both leaked and fell apart.
I'm still using my 1987 Jaguar S65 though!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE