Karrimor shoes causing discomfort.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I bought some Karrimor shoes from Sports Direct not so long ago and got to put them through their paces with the poor weather we've been having recently. Unfortunately they have been giving my right ankle a lot of pain, I think it has something to do with how the sole has been molded as it literally feels like it is trying to push my foot over away from my body. Also the shoes failed miserably in the wet slush and when I got home my socks and feet were very wet. But I can't remember what style they are so I can't check to see if they are advertised as water proof.

Karimor unfortunatley are not what they used to be. I wore karimore boots for years esp the A.D.D. boots and latterly their shoes for £20 a pair out of sports soccer shops. The shoes were ok for pottering about on a forest track or work but nothing else. They are a poor imitation of what karimor used to be, a uk company making a good solid, well made and comfortable boot/shoe for outdoor use.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Karimor unfortunatley are not what they used to be.

have to agree as far as boots/shoes are concerned (still love the rucsacks!) I bought a pair of walky type trainers and they proved to have no grip whatsoever - a damp manhole cover would send me skiing! Shame because the fit is Ok compared with the ubiquitous Merrells.

P

paintballvern

Last year I got a pair KSB boots and used them for the first time walking in Scotland on wet rock they were lethal, I was up in the mountains for 10hrs and when I got down I considered myself very lucky not to have broken my ankle, only good for low level stuff.

Hicup

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 25, 2007
London
My first pair of Karimor boots I bought about 20 years ago and they where made in Italy and lasted for years,

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
I've got some Karrimor shoe/trainers and they are rubbish TBH, the insole has no heel support so it gives my heels a pounding even when shoppng in town. I tend to stick to my Merrells.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
depends on what you get and where you get them from.

I wear Karrimor fabric type walking boots every day for work. I normally wait until Blacks or the like are having a sale and pick them up for about £30. They are great for what i need and last about a year until they are really knackered.

That said i have had sharp lace eyelets that shred laces, poor fitting insoles that move all over the inside of the shoe and soles that split.

I have got a pair of the "trainers" from Sports direct for about £14. They are IMO rubbish. OK for wearing round the house and something to wear when you have got off the hills and want to change out of your muddy boots.
The soles are too thin and walking distances causes discomfort.

Their leather walking boots seem to be OK. My wife and i go walking with friends and one of them has quite new leather walking boots from Karrimor that look well constructed. Certainly the wearer has no problem with them.

I think in this case it's the oldest saying in retail....

"you get what you pay for"

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
It does seem there are two grades of Karrimor boots. The Sports Direct ones come in several styles and they cost around twenty quid or less. They are basically trainers with a bit more weather resistance. I have a couple of pairs and the are great for a casual shoe around town. One pair I bought doesn't have any real foot support, kind of like a moccasin, I like them for wearing indoors as they are kind of like a slipper.

The other Karrimor boots seem to be similar to the old Karrimor brand. Sports Direct also sell a few of these but they have them on the wall instead of stacked up on the boxes in the middle of the floor. These start at around 25 quid and have the waterproof lining, cushioned innersoles with arch support, some have Vibram soles and are much more rugged. TK Maxx also often have the better quality Karrimor boots at low prices.

I've bought the better quality ones also and have found them to be comfortable with a good performance. The waterproof membrane does give up at the most flexed parts of the boots over time but I've found that to be the case with more expensive boots also.

I haven't had any problems with the soles splitting, shredded laces or poor fitting inner soles myself but there might well be quality control issues with this brand.

My personal opinion is that the better ones are still "proper" boots and perform well. They may not be as long lasting as some of the more expensive brands but for around 30 quid they are a bargain. The trainer type ones are useless for any kind of serious outdoor activity but they make a nice change to wearing trainers.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Both my son and mr xylaria have identical looking karrimors. Mr Xs were bought from a clearance outlet for £25, and though a bit shoddy were waterproof, our sons were from sport direct and were cheap trainers made to look like light walking boots. They only cost eight quid, but they come in a box that says karrimor the great british mountain company. They do provide a whistle/compass to help you if when you slip off a great british mountain and need the great british mountain rescue. They should make it a clearer what the shoe should be worn for, I wouldn't take my kid out in non-water proof trainers around the peaks.

I bought a pair very light sandles, they were very comfy indeed, but were no more fit for proper walking than bug sketchers.

I don't think I would buy anything that needs to be fit for a purpose from sports direct, as they only seem to specialize in chav fashion, not true sportswear.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
:lmao:

I think you hit the nail on the head there Xylaria. This is the only time I've tried to save money buying outdoor kit and I needn't have bothered. Buy cheap buy twice.

xylaria

I have bought waterproof footware from windsors world of shoes, really cheap (£15), but they sell end lines, wearhouse clearance, not chavtastic fake walking boots. My other halfs present walking boots came from them. It is hard to find a pair light female boots though. Oddly when they sell karrimors they put some on the boot shelf and some with the trainers, they also sell proper workmens boots.

You can buy cheap and not buy twice. you just have live north of birmingham.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Just found this thread through google.
Recently paid about £35 for a pair of their walking shoes/trainers and they are absolutely useless.
No Grip at all,
Colour faided from dark brown to light tan in a few weeks,
No arch support.

The best bit though is the clicking sound i get with every step:cussing:

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I used to use Karrimor KSB, but now I use Hi-Tec boots, which are surprisingly good.

I am however, having real trouble getting what I want these days.

I want a pair of mid hight fabric boots without a waterproof liner.
I go into Blacks or Tiso and they look at me like I'm crazy.
I don't need waterproofing in Saudi!

MK-MIKE

Dec 2, 2009
Milton Keynes
I bought a pair of Karrimor KSB300 lite eVent walking shoes about 4 years ago and they are fantastic. These are my first fabric walking boots (having religiously stuck to leather walking boots previously). Decent Vibram sole great on wet, slippy ground. The sole is firm and not too flexible, offering enough support if I end up on scrambles/easy climbs (I've used them on up to VS climbs).
To be honest I have found that Karrimor have gone down the pan of late (aside from some of their rucksacks) especially with there walking boots/shoes.

Looks like when I come around to changing my boots, i'll need to look at other brands.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I've been using the eVent trail shoes for work for a few months now. They are comfy, good for walking, grippy with the vibram soles, and are very waterproof. They are showing signs of wear though, and I don't reckon they will last beyond Xmas-not bad for £30 though, better than the cheaper ones I had before them-I got 2 months out of the last pair before the soles divorced the uppers.
The new ones don't smell though, the old ones could be mistaken for rotting roadkill!

GoatBoy666

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2005
West London
I bought some approach shoes by karrimor, £20 delivered, had I payed full price I would have been more than a little miffed at £69.99, as has been mentioned insoles and general support and sole are pretty poor. Not a real trail shoe. I Also stay with merrel.

goat

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
I bought some of those 'approach shoes' from Sports Direct a couple of years back. They lasted two weeks just walking in town. It was that point that I realised that the Karrimor stuff I already had was on a different planet to the 'new karrimor'. Never again. Buy cheap, buy twice.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE